𝟑𝟏.

Tue. 31st December 1985 | 22:17pm
Mike Wheeler

I carry my gaze towards the peal of trumpets and drumming on stage practically blasting into my ears, watching as my dad arrogantly stands slightly in front with a microphone idling inches away from his face.

Seconds later when the fanfare dies down, my father clears his throat against the mic and I watch attentively as he starts to speak.

"Good evening, Indiana! I hope you're enjoying the festival I have planned out for everyone here so far! First of all, let's give a big hand for the Hawkins High Marching Band!" He shouts, earning claps and whistles from the citizens all around me. I clap my hands too, though not showing as much emotion as everyone else.

I turn my attention to Dustin as he approaches me. "Hey."

"Hey. Is something wrong?" He cocks a brow.

"Oh, y'know... just my dad being my dad." I shrug with an ironic smirk. "This is so dumb."

"Well- it's not that bad, right?"

"No, it's definitely fun. His speeches are just bullshit though... acts like he cares about this place."

"Eh, I guess so." Dustin chuckles.

"I hope you all are having a good time tonight... Are you having a good time?... I can't hear you, are you having a good time?!" My father continues, the cheering becoming exceedingly louder each time he pauses.

I roll my eyes. "Hold on I have to pretend I care- WOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" I join in with the cheering enthusiastically, completely contradicting to how much I can actually be bothered with this inside. Dustin shrugs and does the same, and it stays like that until everyone else stops not long after.

"Michael Wheeler?" I turn my gaze to three girls near my age, assuming the girl in front is the one who called my name, and lift a brow, taking a step closer to her to give her all my attention.

"Yeah?" I smile.

"Uh... I-I heard that you broke up with your girlfriend recently and... I was ju-just wondering if you wanted to hang out sometime?" She stammers.

Oh god.

"Um... well-" I avert my gaze from each of the girls before letting it fall to the ground. "Really- I'm flattered but... I'm sorry. I'm not really looking to date." I fixate my eyes on her.

"Oh... that- that's fine! I just thought it would be good to ask..." Her tone lowers and I click my tongue awkwardly.

"Again, I'm sorry." I say apologetically and she nods.

"Well- can I at least have a picture, please?"

"Sure." A smile forms on my lips and I invite her to come closer before placing an arm around her shoulder.

I absolutely despise photos but when it comes to fans, I have to be nice and smile, so that's what I do as the girl's friend pulls out a pink polaroid-looking camera and flashes a photo.

"Yeah?" I ask for assurance and they nod with smiles. I raise my thumbs upwards before making my way back to Dustin with a huff.

"Well I'll be damned, Wheeler... just rejected a girl, I see?" He smirks.

"Shut up... we have to get away from the crowd before other people ask." I sigh.

"Sorry- I forgot it's past your bed time." He apologises sarcastically with an eye roll.

"Right, so where are the others?" I suck my bottom lip between my teeth.

"Probably went on rides without us like the assholes they are."