𝟐𝟑.

Eleanor Hopper

Regret floods over my body, my fists balled into the roots of my hair.

God, El, what the fuck gave you the idea that kissing and making up with Mike would be the solution to your problems??

Okay, in my defence, I thought it would be the mature thing to do at the time.

It only just sunk in when I woke up this morning how bad this is. I desperately want to get back with Max and I think I officially blew it. God knows that I'm gonna be delaying a breakup again. I made him believe that I'm happy with our relationship when- yeah, I am!

I mean- I think so?

That's not the point though. It's just that I don't want to let go of what me and Max have.

Even though this is something you shouldn't be having with her in the first place. Just get over her and continue to date Mike as a distraction, and soon your feelings will grow back.

I've always had feelings for him though, what—

Sure.

I don't have the energy to be going back and forth with you right now. You know what? I'm hungry.

I get off my bed with a sigh, walk downstairs and grab a granola bar from the kitchen cabinet, noticing that my dad is wearing his work uniform.

"Dad? Aren't you free from work today?" He turns his attention to me.

"Oh- I was actually going to visit the morgue." He pauses to inhale. "Someone died last night."

Damn.

"Oh god..." I gasp shakily, taking a bite of my bar after. "Well um- okay. I guess I'll see you soon?"

"Okay, sweetheart." He plants a kiss onto my forehead before heading to the exit.

Just as I sit down on the sofa, the doorbell rings, causing me to jump right back up in shock. Gosh- how is it that dad always has to forget something?

I get up, approach the door and open it, surprised when I see a blonde girl standing at the entrance, holding a basket of cookies. She gives me an awkward glance, as if she expected someone else to open the door, before slightly stuttering her way through a sentence.

"Oh- erm. I- I moved in across the street. My mom wanted me to give these." She holds out the basket, and I accept it with a smile.

"Thank you. That's really kind. What's your name?"

"Angela. Angela Carter."

"Cool! I'm Jane, but people call me El- short for Eleanor. My middle name." I tell her, placing the cookies on the floor before holding my hand out to shake hers. I notice Angela staring at it for a moment before she takes it and shakes it. "Do you wanna come in?" I ask.

"Oh, no- that's fine! I need to unpack anyways so I guess I'll just head back." Angela explains, gesturing to her house across the street.

"Kay, kay! Well- see you around, Angela." I salute her as she walks off with pretty grin on her face.

She seems nice.

Karen Wheeler - 2:53pm

I place raw chicken breasts on the cutting board, grabbing my knife and starting to slice each of them into smaller pieces.

"Good afternoon, honey!" I yell from the kitchen when I hear the front door open and close.

"Afternoon- gosh, im starving. Do you know when dinner might be ready?" Ted asks as he enters the room, causing my face to fall.

"I dunno- around five or something." I reply, looking down at the counter.

I've always been used to Ted being cold to me, but it still hurts me knowing that he's never gonna change. It's been like this for over two decades so It's not like I expect a random change in personality.

"Hey- why don't you go take a nap? I'm sure you're tired after a stressful day of work - besides, by the time you're awake again, the chicken will be ready for you." I smile and he nods in agreement, starting to walk to the living room.

I sigh before gathering all the chicken in a bowl, seasoning it when Holly comes in.

"Mommy?"

"Yes, baby?" I ask.

"Mike wrote a story for school I think but I don't understand it- can you help me?" Oh? I didn't think Mike got homework to complete over break.

"Okay." I wash my hands and rub them against a towel before taking the slightly crumpled paper and reading through the words. It's not a story, it's a letter - a letter for Will.

'I am so so sorry for what I said to you yesterday.' I frown - something must've happened between them.

I've always been able to notice how important Will is to Mike throughout their months of friendship. Sure, he cares about his other friends, but I'm getting a different 'vibe' when it comes to them two.

My eyebrows furrow as I continue to trail my eyes over the letter.

'It's because I was scared of what comes with it.'

What does that mean?

'Will,

I like you.' I smile. Well of course he does- they're best friends.

But as I continue to read, confusion just keeps growing on my face until a soft gasp escapes my lips in utter shock.

'I'm not sure how far I'm going with that, but what I do know is that I can't keep ignoring the way my cheeks heat up when you look at me, or the way my heart physically aches when you have to leave. Your eyes aroused me immediately from the second I laid eyes on you, in a way that I can't even describe - it was like a bunch of bullets shot into me all at once.'

"Mommy- what is it?" I forget that Holly is here.

"Holly, honey, this isn't for you, okay?" I smile assuringly. "Why don't you go play with your dollhouse?" I suggest and she nods before skipping up the stairs, allowing my attention to be brought back to the letter.

My eyes well up in realisation.

My son is... gay?

At this point, I can't take my eyes off the letter. A tear rolls down my cheek and my lips curve upwards in a wobbly manner as I read the list of things Mike likes about Will.

I flinch a little when I hear the front door open and close. Mike walks into the kitchen.

"Hi, mom." He says, but I fail to reply.

"Mom? What's wrong?" I think he notices the dampness in my eyes. He glances down at the letter in my hand, and his mouth gapes before he looks back up at me.

"Mom- I swear it's not what you think."

To Be Continued...

a.n. it's one of those days where my brain isn't braining to a point that my brain doesn't process what I'm writing when I'm trying to proof read so yeah sorry if anything is written badly/grammatically incorrect/spelt wrong, etc.

<3