𝟒𝟒.

3:09pm
Will Byers

"I'm sorry." Are the words that escape Mike lips after minutes of purely laying in silence.

Normally, I'd complain because of the cold but strangely, the breeze isn't really bothering me.

Maybe it's Mike's porcelain skin laying against mine that's been keeping me warm all this time.

Anyway.

You may have guessed that... we didn't do it.

It seemed right in the moment but I don't know- something about when he started to kiss me more down my body scared me. I got flashbacks that I shouldn't have been getting and it just freaked the crap out of me.

"No, it's okay... don't apologise."

"It's not okay. I... lost control and it made you uncomfortable." Mike explains, but I shake my head.

"I mean, yeah... but it's not your fault that I got this way." I frown. He sits up and looks at me with his brows arched a little, and I sit up too.

"Does this... have anything to do with your nightmares?"

I part my lips and looks down at my lap. I hate that everything is a reminder of how things used to be back then.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

Michael asks for the third time since we met. Except this time, I look up at him and nod. This is something I've never spoken about before. I even refused to open up to my old therapist about it last year.

Both of us lean on the pillows that were used to decorate Castle Byers.

"Do you want me to just say it all at once?" I ask.

"Say it however you'd like."

Okay... I'm really doing this.

"So... growing up, I can't say things have been amazing." I admit, pausing for a moment to take a breath.

...

"I was at my worst when Jonathan was really busy with school and his part-time jobs and my mom worked at Meldvald's General Store most of the day, leaving me home alone with my dad. I never really understood what it was that triggered him to drink so much. But yeah... he was drunk a lot of time. Most of those times, he'd come into my room and hurt me. Bad. And it's not like he'd beat me, he would... do things to me that parents would do to each other."

Saying those words alone trigger a lump to form in my throat. I still try to continue to talk despite Mike's wide-eyed gaze.

"And it didn't feel good." My voice cracks. "Not at all."

Another few seconds of silence take place - I gulp.

"He used to say it was because he wanted the 'feminine/gay' side to grow out of me. He's not wrong. I don't like girls. But I spent so much of my time wondering why he suspected it. Maybe it was because of the nail polish hidden in my room, or maybe it was all of the paintings that I made. I guess he kinda considered it as a sort of conversion therapy for me. But no. All that did was scar me for life."

Mike's eyes meet mine and he wipes the tears that I didn't even notice spilling from my waterline.

"I'm so so sorry, Will. Nobody deserves that." He says, pulling me into a tight hug. I close my eyes and embrace his touch, my subtle sniffles being the only thing I hear for a moment.

"Do you mind me asking what happened to your dad?" The ravenette questions me hesitantly.

"He's dead."

I'm honestly so lucky. My father, Lonnie Byers, passed away after catching AIDS. After he tested positive, I remember being absolutely terrified that I would as well. Because I'm the reason he caught it in the first place.

I basically murdered my dad.

I furrow my brows. After gathering all of the pain that I had to endure all these years, my heart physically hurts.

The hug between Mike and I becomes tighter, and I smile softly despite the situation I'm in right now. I'm just glad when he doesn't question me further about what happened.

"Hey!" He says after a moment of quiet. "Look."

Mike grabs my hand and holds it out, presenting my arm that seems to be clear. I lift my eyebrows in surprise - I hadn't even realised that the wound was healed and completely gone now. Well- I noticed it obviously since I have to look at myself everyday, but I suppose I hadn't really realised since everyday that I would go in the shower, my arm would look the same. I didn't really notice the wound fading away until Mike pointed it out just now.

"All gone." He smiles at me.

"Oh, yeah-!" I return the smile with a soft chuckle.

Now I can comfortably wear short sleeved clothing! When it gets warmer, of course- :D

When I stare at my arm a little more, I catch a glance at my watch and blink. It's already half past three.

"Crap, I have to head home and help my family prepare dinner."

It is quite early now but my family take Valentine's Day very seriously, wanting to celebrate it with a nice feast.

Even though I'll probably end up burning down the kitchen.

I already explained to my mom that I can't cook and she definitely believes me, but even El has to help and she's worse than me at it. I suppose it's a way of spending quality time together.

If you're wondering, all of us still get alone time with our lovers. Mom and dad were lovey dovey all day and they'll probably watch a movie or something tonight. Nancy and Jonathan went out for brunch and he's probably gonna be going out with her tonight too. Me with Mike, of course- though, my parents don't know we're dating. And El... I don't know- she's been on the phone since I came home and very well might still be. Probably with Max or Angela since they're her best friends.

Though, Max told me she went over to Lucas'.

Eh.

"That's okay. I have to go home too as well soon. I'll... catch you later?" Mike inquires, reminding me of our conversation. I grab my sweater and coat, putting it on before wiping any excess tears from earlier.

"Yeah!" I grin, leaning closer to gift Mike with a kiss before carefully exiting the wooden den and heading home with my hands in my pockets.

To Be Continued...

a.n. Aaaaa reading the comments from the previous chapter made me feel awful. I would never ever sexualise minors- I quite literally click off a story if smut like that is involved and I'm so sorry jf I gave you the idea that I was gonna write that! I just felt like it would be a good way to lead to Will opening up about his trauma finally since our honey bun deserves to talk about it <33

Ill even admit that writing the previous chapter was kind of uncomfortable 😭😭 But I had to keep going since Mike was narrating it and I feel like he's the kind to not really know much better, y'know? Idk how to word it really but I hope yk what I mean-

i hope everyone is having a good day/night! 💗