𝟐𝟔.

17:11pm
Mike Wheeler

"Do you want to talk about it?" I ask, quiet screeches coming from the swing as I softly sway on it, Will doing the same on the one next to mine. Both of us are at an abandoned-ish playground that nobody really goes to, and it's quite dark out here with the exception of dim lights scattered around the streets surrounding us.

"No, it's fine." He shakes his head, and I sigh.

"It's just..." I stop for a second or two, "I'm sorry to bring this up- but... you remember that time where you woke up from a nightmare and I stayed with you that night because you were... crying?"

"... Vaguely, I guess." I can tell he's lying by the way he looks down at his lap.

"Well- other than the fact that someone died," That someone being someone I'd never expect to die in such a way. And so early.

I frown.

"May that nightmare have maybe linked to the moment you had earlier?" I question him, looking at him thoughtfully.

"... I dunno. Maybe a little, I suppose." I can sense that he's starting to get uncomfortable.

Drop it.

"Will, you know you don't have to tell me anything? I just want you to know that I'm here for you." That's something I find important to make very clear. "Just- say the word and we can change the topic." Will nods.

The screeches of the swing become clearer as we continue to sway silently.

"Mike?"

"Hm?-" I shift my gaze back to Will with a slight flinch, not expecting the sudden dialogue.

"I'm sorry."

I furrow my brows at him. "Sorry? Sorry for what?"

"I was being selfish at Christmas. You just wanted to make sure El wasn't mad at you- I get it. You love her."

What I would give for that to actually have been the case.

"All I thought about was playing DnD be-because..." he pauses and shakes his head.

What?

"Never mind. Just- I'm sorry, okay?"

"No- that's ridiculous, don't be sorry. I was the one who went way out of line! You didn't deserve that at all."

"You don't have to pretend. I know that I was just being dramat-"

"Will." I interrupt him and place my hand over his against the silver chains of the swing. "Stop apologising, okay? I was being a complete asshole."

"You're sure it's okay?" He asks me, and my eyes soften.

"Of course. We should just forget any of that happened and... I don't know- excite ourselves with something to take our minds off of it. How about the New Years festival coming up? We're gonna have real fun. And I don't mean that you and the whole party are gonna be third-wheeling El and I the whole time, I wanna have fun as friends."