𝟑𝟔.

Tue. 21st January, 1986 | 1:27am
Maxine Mayfield

I told my family that I was sleeping over at El's for tonight - if Billy and Neil found out I was actually at Lucas' house, they'd definitely cause a whole commotion about it since my boyfriend is 'different' from us.

I'm sitting down with Lucas' head rested on my lap, who is lying down on the sofa horizontally. It is a mystery how we're both still awake. Both of us are probably also gonna regret it since we have to wake up early tomorrow and head back to our dorms.

He flicks a skittle into the air and I catch it with my mouth, chewing with a smile.

"So, have you decided what you're going to wear, yet?" He asks. I cock a brow.

"To what?"

"The prom."

Ohh.

The girl- and boy's academy are collaborating to host a prom in some big hall that they rented.

"No.. that's in May- after exams." I pause, "Besides- I can't really find anything that suits me."

He laughs.

"Max, everything suits you. I'm sure that whatever you decide to wear is going to look beautiful on you." Lucas compliments me and I smile, leaning down to peck his lips.

"Okay, okay... no need to get all cheesy." I giggle and he joins in before planting a kiss on the back of my hand, causing blush to emerge from the side of my face.

"Anyway... you think we should go to sleep now?" I ask.

"Do you want to sleep?"

I don't know... whatever you prefer." I shrug.

"Let's just... stay like this for a little bit." Lucas requests and I nod, leaning my head back against the sofa - my lips curve upwards into a grin.

"I love you, Max." He adds, making my heart drop and smile quickly fade.

...

"I... I know you do."

I stare at the ceiling and frown, not sure what to make out of what just happened right now.

He loves me?

Jane Hopper - 5:14am

Yes. Me and Angela have been stuck in the bathroom for twelve hours with nothing but the sink water to help us survive through the night.

The first hour consisted of panicking and trying to find ways to get out, the next seven hours was purely just sleeping against the cold wall - in literally the most uncomfortable position imaginable, not to mention that both of us are wearing our school uniforms. And these past four hours were just... small talks that died really quickly, leading to 30 minute silences at a time.

"So..." I start, wanting to create conversation again.

"Yeah?"

"Hm... why did you come here?" I ask - that's something I've kinda been wondering ever since we met - not like it'd change anything, though.

"Uh..." Angela sighs and I shift my gaze towards her attentively, ".. Too much to tell..."

"That's okay." I smile, shuffling closer to her. "We have time. I mean-" I chuckle, "God knows how much longer we'll be stuck in here, right?"

"Yeah, you're right." She cracks a smile, and both of us softly laugh at the irony of being here together.

Then it's silent for a few seconds again.

"Well, Um... I used to live in Louisiana." She says and I nod.

"Everyone saw my life as perfect there. I was popular and looked up to by most people in my school. I have... no idea why though. I was a total bitch to anyone that my best friend and boyfriend, Stacy and Jake, deemed inferior... because- I don't know... I wanted to fit in. And that was the only way. Everyone else was an outcast."

I don't even mind. Yeah it's bad and I probably would've hated her back then, but it's clear that she changed and, plus, I'm not much better than her. It was different though, I was fresh out of foster and because of all the trauma I guess I just... didn't know how to control myself. I got into lots of fights if I even got slightly triggered and got expelled from my previous school before being transferred to this one.

She stops talking and I notice her lips trembling. It's like she's trying to form sentences but she doesn't know how to really word anything. I place my hand over hers in reassurance and continue to watch Angela in silence, just waiting for her to be comfortable enough to continue her dialogue.

"What... what nobody knew is that I was insecure. Really insecure. I still am." She takes a small pause again, exhaling sharply, "My dad came here years ago because him and my mom weren't on good terms... but then he managed to manipulate her into thinking that everything would be better if we moved. And like everything else, that was a lie."

I look down at my lap. She doesn't deserve any of this.

"So um... every other night, he goes out to whatever club or bar... doing whatever with random women - and my mom knows that. They're only together so that they can provide for me- at least, on my mom's part. I-it's just... sometimes, my dad still comes into my room and..."

Angela's voice breaks and I softly gasp in realisation to what she was about to say. She doesn't even need to emphasise on it.

"Angie, come here..." I softly speak to her and pull the blonde into my arms comfortingly. She doesn't necessarily cry- but just lays her head against my chest, and I occasionally hear whimpers and sniffs coming from her.

Michael Wheeler - 6:21am

I fix my collar as I speed-walk down the stairs, peering out the front window where a limousine is visible. All of my bags are already inside, now the driver is just waiting for me.

I approach my little sister and lean down to her height. I was sort of surprised when I found out she's awake - she doesn't even have school this week.

She's playing with the now four month old kitten that Will gave me for Christmas. I smile to the thought of it.

"Hey, Holly... I'm gonna go back to my dorm. You know what that means?"

She sighs, "I know... I have to give Mickey back..." Mickey is the name that Holly picked out for the cat, since she loves Mickey Mouse so much. Initially, she was gonna name him 'Minnie', but I objected and informed her that he was a boy, so then we decided on 'Mickey'.

"No." I smile, "You are going to look after him while I'm gone." I tell my sister and her face lights up.

"Really??"

"Yeah! You'll even have Miss Roseanne to help you if it gets too difficult." I would absolutely love to take Mickey with me, but I feel like I'm preoccupied by lots of other things like school. Holly doesn't have a life, therefore she'd probably do a better job at looking after him over the semester.

It's not like I don't like Mickey, I adore him. In fact, every night from Christmas Day to New Years, I insisted on sleeping with him in my bed since he reminded me of Will.

But I'm never planning on admitting that to him.

I shake off that thought and hold my arms out, and Holly immediately throws herself in them.

"I'm gonna miss you." I assure her.

"Me too! I love you, Mikey."

I smile.

"I love you more, Goldilocks."

To Be Continued...

a.n.
THIS TOOK AN EXCRUCIATING AMOUNT OF TIME OML AND FOR WHAT

I'm sorry I'll try harder next chapter 😭💔💔

anyway GN <3