𝟏𝟒.

Thur. 26th September 1985 | 8:09am
Michael Wheeler

I decided weeks ago to make it super clear to Lucas, Troy and James that I don't want anything to do with them, so I basically don't have anyone to hang out with when I'm at school considering that Will and I can't keep up a conversation anymore.

I kinda knew that our friendship would drift apart considering that a friendship between someone like me and someone like him just doesn't last. Will is really shy and not to mention a victim of bullying. It's difficult to put into words but I can understand his reason for distancing from me.

If I'm being honest, he's the reason I've been dreading to return to school since I found El at our dorm. I knew things would become awkward between us and I'd end up alone this semester.

"You have no right to speak to me that way. You're lucky Mrs Walsh wasn't allowed to press charges, son!"

I roll my eyes and look down at the ground, knowing deep down that dad's right. Initially, it would be three more weeks before I return to school - that was before dad paid the fucking principal for me to return on campus earlier. It's bullshit.

I walk through the hallways in search for my locker, my attention being brought to a specific part of the corridor which is really crowded. I rummage through everyone in the way of my view, shocked when I see what's happening.

"faggot"

"mikey's secret admirer" with a heart mockingly sprayed beside it.

"nasty queer"

I can't believe what I'm looking at.

Those harsh words are spray-painted onto a locker, Will motionlessly standing in front of it. My mouth gapes as I look around the large area of people. Everyone is laughing but three particular boys catch my eye.

Those motherfuckers...

Before I know it, I grab Troy's shirt in between my fists and slam him against the wall, a threatening expression on my face.

"What did you do, you fucking piece of shit?!" I yell, my face inching closer to his the more my tone increases.

He just stares back at me with his chest heaving up and down in a way that makes him seem intimidated by me, and I laugh at the irony.

"Pussy." I scoff. "...Listen here, mess with Will again and you'll have problems with me, yeah? We've had that before and things didn't go very well on your part, did they?"

And he stays silent.

"Exactly." I conclude, aggressively releasing the grip from his collar. He immediately rushes from the scene and I turn around at James and Lucas with a disbelieving look on my face.

"What are you, fake? Go after your sissy friend and don't bother Will and I again." I demand before they walk off the same direction as Troy. My facial expression softens immediately when I meet Will's eyes, and I approach him before pulling him into a hug. He just stands there helplessly as I pull him in closer, digging my head into his neck comfortingly.

When I release the hug and take a step back, I realise that despite the crowd starting to clear, there are still quite a few people watching us. I sigh in annoyance and turn my attention to the others, shifting my gaze between everyone but they don't take the hint.