🌻 Chapter 1

🌻 Brooklyn Olivia Baker POV

I look out the tinted window of the limousine at the passing palm trees. 

Squee! 

For the first time in my life I am not in Kansas. I cannot believe I'm actually here. The view of the incredibly opulent mansions we are passing with the ocean right behind them is like something out of a movie. I feel like I should pinch myself to be sure that I'm not dreaming.

"Brooklyn, are you zoning out again?" Oh, I forgot about her. I sit back in my seat. I am in one of the three black bucket seats at the back of the car facing forward. On the bench that is facing me is the cameraman dressed in all black with a camera pointed at me which is covering half of his face. Next to him is Rhiannon, a very pretty, personable junior producer with highlights in her beach waved brown hair. She looks like she's in her early thirties. Rhiannon has always been really nice but I think she is starting to get frustrated with me for getting so distracted from our interview.

"I'm sorry, what was the question again?" I hope I don't make her mad. I really should focus.

She sighs, "Brooklyn, tell me about what made you apply to be on the show." Ah yes, the show, MODEL DREAMS. The first season of a reality show where us aspiring models will compete for a lucrative, year-long, six figure modeling contract.

I give a nice smile as I answer what feels like her hundredth question. I'm pretty sure she's asked this one before. Maybe she didn't like my answer the first time? Should I word it differently? I can't come up with something creative on the spot so I guess I'll just say the same thing again. 

"All my life I have lived on a sunflower farm in southeast Kansas. I've barely ever left my town and had never left the state until this week." I look at Rhiannon like they told me. I am never to look at the camera. "Since I was young, I've dreamed of traveling. I want to experience all the cool places you see on TV and in movies. When I saw the modeling contest online I thought it might be my opportunity to get out and see the world." I know my eyes are shining bright with my hopes and dreams.

Rhiannon smiles, seemingly pleased with my answer, "Why did you think you could be a model? Have you ever done any modeling?"

"Only once for my Uncle's diner. I was holding a plate of breakfast food. It was just an advertisement for the school newspaper. This year, when my senior pictures were taken, all my friends said, 'You should be a model'. So when I saw the advertisement for the contest, I sent in my pictures and shockingly, I was selected!"

I remember the secretive emails, phone calls, and video chats over the last months as the pool of candidates was narrowed more and more. I was always surprised to still be in the running because I was so doubtful that I'd get selected. I'm fairly average looking to be a model. And who would be interested in watching a TV show with a farm girl like me from Nowhere, USA? I'm seriously not that interesting.

I surprised myself with how well I kept the whole thing a secret. There was only one person who knew about the contest from the beginning, the person I've never kept secrets from. Of course, eventually, I had to tell my mom so she could drive me to the airport, and didn't report me missing to the police. It took a serious amount of begging for her to finally let me go on my own, but in the end, she agreed.

I'm sure my father and siblings know where I am by now. And they probably told Max. My heart beats faster with that thought. He won't be happy. Sigh. That is seriously such an understatement.

"And Brooklyn, why do you think you will win?" Rhiannon smiles, hoping I'll answer another question before I get distracted again.

I chuckle a little. "Oh, I probably won't win. But I flew in an airplane for the first time in my life! And I'm here in California and I can't believe it! Everything is just so beautiful. So even if I'm eliminated this week, I got to have a little of my dream of traveling!" I think she usually likes my enthusiasm but her exasperated sigh tells me she doesn't like my answer this time. I grit my teeth a bit and raise my eyebrows. I want to please her. Was I too honest?