🌻 Chapter 16

🌻 

Chris addresses me, "Brooklyn, turn and face Chase, and tell him why he should keep you as his modeling partner."

I'm feeling a little sick to my stomach now. I was so happy a moment ago. I should still be happy because Ryland gets to stay, and that's what I wanted. I turn and look Ryland right in his pretty blue eyes. He's giving me an encouraging look, the one that always makes me feel supported. I can't help but reach out and take his hands in mine. Tingles run up my arms. I'm going to miss those.

I take a deep breath and speak from my heart. "Ryland, I have loved getting to know you. Out of all of us, I know you are going to be a successful model." I pause to look down at my feet, but I look back up before I say. "But I really think you should pick Fiona." His slight smile drops. "She is so pretty and she wouldn't have dropped the beaker and made a mess during the photoshoot. I know because I've seen her walk in high heels and she does really good." His eyebrows are now furrowed, he doesn't like what I'm saying. "It's probably best if I go home anyway... you know why." His lips tighten. "But it has been great getting to know you. I really think you could win it all, but you need a partner that doesn't drag you down." 

I don't like the look on his face. He looks disappointed in me. I hate disappointing him. I whisper, "I'm really sorry."

I turn back to Chris to see the same disappointment on his face. "Not exactly what we had in mind." He turns to Fiona, "Fiona, will you turn to face Chase and tell him why he should select you for his modeling partner?" I step back slightly so she can see him.

She is smirking a bit. She swings her pretty red hair over her shoulder. "First of all, you should dump Baby B because she doesn't even know your name." She smirks at me like I'm an idiot. "And like she said, she ruined your photoshoot, everyone is talking about it. If you keep her as your partner she'll make you lose next week. Honestly, she can't keep up with us adults, especially you. You're by far the hottest guy here and she is such a kid. You need a partner that can match you in looks and maturity. It isn't her." She points at me with her thumb. Ryland has kept his face very stoic throughout her speech. I try not to feel badly about her mean words. Competition can make people be their harshest self.

I look up to find Chris is just as frustrated with Fiona as he was in me. He covers his annoyance with a chuckle for the camera, "Well, neither of you did what I asked. I requested that you each make a case for yourself. Brooklyn, you made a case for Fiona. And Fiona you made a case against Brooklyn." He sighs. "Well, Chase, it is up to you. Would you prefer to keep Brooklyn as your modeling partner or switch to be with Fiona? According to them, it's an obvious choice."

I'm looking down. Even though I told him to pick Fiona, this is nerve wracking. I am starting to feel badly about going home so soon. Ugh, first one to go. Along with Thrash who never took any of this seriously.

Ryland grabs my hand and turns me to face him as his other hand goes under my chin and lifts my face to look at him. "Buttercup, be a good girl for me and do what Chris asked." His eyes have an intense energy to them, "Baby, tell me why I should keep you for my partner." 

I hear a gasp behind me and I can guess why. Everyone calls me Baby but when it comes from Ryland, without the mocking tone, it sounds very different, endearing even.

I look back into his clear blue eyes. They are encouraging me to do as he asks. He knows I was about to leave two days ago because of Max. He wants me to admit I have a reason to stay. As I think about it more, I really, really don't want to leave yet. I'm not ready. I've done more new things in the last week than I've done in the last ten years. Ryland and I didn't even get a chance to do a real photoshoot together. I want at least one chance to show we can do well. I'm still longing for new experiences. Screw Max. Okay, I'm sorry I didn't really mean that last part. But Max can wait a bit longer to have me back.