🌻 Chapter 33

🌻

Did I touch too much? Did I pressure him? Should I not have mentioned Max? What could I have done differently? In a unique moment of clarity I realize it doesn't always have to be about me. I'm again looking for fault within myself, trying to find something to apologize for. But in reality, maybe I didn't do anything wrong. 

We both knew this would be hard for him. He doesn't touch people without his shield and these new feelings were bound to push his limits. I take a deep breath with the realization that Ry is probably feeling badly that he wasn't able to contain his emotions without the shield. But he did so well. If he's anything like me, maybe he doesn't realize how well he did. I need to tell him.

He went to his room for a while but now I hear him move out to the living area. I look at the clock by the bed and am surprised that it isn't even ten thirty yet. With determination to make him feel better I hop out of bed and march to the living room. He is standing with his back to me, leaning on his hands which are gripping the edge of the kitchen island. He still has no shirt, probably because it's on the floor of the bedroom.

I come up behind him and wrap my arms around his waist. He feels stiff as a board, with all his muscles taut. It feels nice to be able to touch him without worrying about grossing him out. 

"You did so good, Ry. It was your first time without your shield and you really did a good job."

The air whooshes out of him and I feel him relax in my hold. He spins in my arms and returns my hug. He holds me a little tighter than a normal hug. 

I hear the relief in his voice as he speaks, "Thank you. I thought you'd be pissed at me." I look up at him in confusion. Man alive he looks good in his glasses. He chuckles at my expression, "I did nearly kiss you."

I fling my hand, "Psha! It was nothing." I'm enjoying the look of relief in his face. "Come 'ere. I have an idea." 

I pull him by his hand, turning off lights as I go back to my bedroom. I close and lock the door behind us like he did earlier then bring him around the side of the bed. His side. His eyebrows are up, he wonders where this is going. 

"Well, hop in."

He obeys me but he protests, "This didn't end well last time."

"It ended fine." I cut him off, "And I have a plan, remember?" Once he's in the bed, I climb over him to the middle and hand him the Return of the King. "Read to me." He blinks a few times. "Wherever you were in the book, just read from that spot." He opens the book. "And try to relax and keep your defense down."

Ry flips through the pages then clears his throat and begins. He has such a nice voice.

"Pippin pressed forward as they passed under the lamp beneath the gate-arch, and when he saw the pale face of Faramir he caught his breath. It was the face of one who has been assailed by a great fear or anguish, but has mastered it and now is quiet." 

Interesting, kind of like the surly mask Ry wears all the time. I almost get so caught up in the story that I forget the plan. But luckily, I remember. I lay on my side and reach over, placing my hand on his arm. 

He continues reading, "Proud and grave he stood for a moment as he spoke to the guard, and Pippin gazing at him saw how closely he resembled his brother Boromir – whom Pippin had liked from the first, admiring the great man's lordly but kindly manner." 

Again, like Ry who is so serious but has always been kind and patient with me. I rub my hand up and down his arm before reaching over and placing it on his chest. 

His breath catches ever so slightly but he continues reading, "Yet su-uddenly for Faramir his heart was strangely moved with a feeling that he had not known before."