📷 Chapter 44

📷

"Damn, that is messed up. You didn't deserve any of that." 

I'm enjoying the feel of her here on my lap but at the same time I'm sickened by her family choosing to support the boyfriend over her. She rightfully feels so betrayed right now. She needs to know she has people she can trust. 

I brush the hair off her face and tuck it behind her ear then stroke my thumb over her cheek, wiping away the tears. I lean down and kiss her forehead. I want to protect her from all of it. From all of them.

I knew her parents were weird for allowing her to have a boyfriend so young. But I could never have guessed they would stoop to this. Anyone looking at her mom and dad would probably think they were good parents, that they took care of their kids. Who would have known they could make their eldest daughter feel so unloved? I had such a crappy childhood that my tendency is to look at people that have their shit together and think their upbringing was perfect. But I guess anyone can have dysfunction just lurking there and you might never know if they don't tell you. 

I'm not surprised her asshole boyfriend cheated on her but God damn what an idiot. Loser had no idea what he was letting go. "I'm so proud of you for sticking up for yourself, Buttercup." She sniffles and wipes her eyes with the back of her hands. "It couldn't have been easy with how upset he makes you when he yells." 

"I was so mad I didn't even feel bad about his yelling." She tells me more about their conversation, how he tried to make her think she couldn't break up with him. And how nonchalant he was about his cheating. 

"I don't think a month ago I would have had the nerve to break up with him. I would have been mad about him cheating, sure. But I think I would have forgiven him because it's what was expected of me." She thinks for a minute, "If I was home, my parents would have made me feel like it was no big deal. They would have encouraged me to forgive and forget." She looks up into my eyes, "I think being here on the show, making my own choices, even little decisions like what I want to eat, has made me stronger. It gave me the courage to stand up for myself."

I brush my finger along the edge of her face, "Look how strong you've gotten. You know it was the right thing to do. No one, especially not you, deserves to be treated that way." I'm trying not to smile but I'm so relieved that asshole is out of her life.

She puts on a small brave smile, "Thanks Ry. I'm glad you're here tonight." She sighs, "It's been a rough couple of days. The people close to me, the ones I can really trust are dwindling. I only have Austin and Monica left." The edge of her lip twitches down and I want so badly to kiss her sadness away. 

I stroke my thumb over her cheek in what I hope is a comforting way. The way she's nuzzling her face into my hand tells me that it is. "You have me too, Buttercup. I'm here. And I know Hayden really cares for you too." She's the sweetest thing. I never want to let her go.

She smiles, "Thanks, Ry." She pauses and I can see the wheels turning inside her head, "Do you..." She pauses again and stiffens with what looks like worry or uncertainty.

She can tell me anything. "Do I what?" I pinch her side just a bit and she smiles and squirms.

"Do you think we can stay friends? You know, after the show is over?" 

I can't help the smile on my face. God, I want that so much. She looks up at me with her beautiful hazel eyes and I want to memorize every fleck of color. 

"Of course. Friends at the very minimum. I really like you, Buttercup." Her face brightens. "A lot." She smiles so big that her teeth show. "You know..." Maybe I shouldn't say this now?