🌻 Chapter 5

🌻

I can sense Ryland's distress at having me on his lap. I try to stand, I need to get off of the poor man's lap. I grab a hook on the ceiling and attempt to stand up which is harder to do in a moving car than you would think. "I'm so sorry," I say, nearly toppling over.

Ryland grabs my waist as I sway on the hook, not able to stand up entirely because of the short ceiling. He pulls me back down on his lap. "You're fine." 

But I know it isn't fine, I can hear the stress in his voice. I hear him groan just a bit so I try to put less weight on him to perhaps alleviate some of his uncomfortableness. I don't think it helps because he gruffly says, "Sit still." I do. His breath is on my neck and I feel a shiver go down my back and arms. He smells so nice. I need to get Max this cologne.

We watch Hayden lean over to open a compartment under the bench seat on the other side, making everyone move their legs out of the way. There is nothing but cups and napkins in the little cupboard. It is not a minibar like he thought.

Ryland's hands are holding me in place on his lap. His fingertips discover the bit of skin between my shirt and shorts. The electricity continues to run down my body. Is he even trying to keep it in? Maybe he doesn't have as much control over it as I originally thought. Why does the current running through me feel so nice? The little rippling feeling down my skin is delicious. It takes everything I have not to lean back onto his chest and moan at the luscious feeling of his fingers on me. I'm going to make a fool of myself if I sit here any longer.

I grab Hayden's sleeve and pull him up from taking his time perusing the stupid cupboard. "It's obviously not a minibar." I don't even care that he has left it open. As soon as he sits up I vault myself into Hayden's lap. I turn to Ryland to apologize again. I can see his jaw is tight and his hands are making fists by his legs. He can't even say anything back to me, he just nods once. His intense eyes are boring into my soul. I'm reminded of the way he couldn't let go of my hand quick enough when we first met.

Hayden finds several different buttons that not only open a secret panel in front of us to reveal a tray of ice with little bottles of water, but he also opens the sunroof. Hayden is immediately standing with his head out the top. He ducks back in and grabs my hand. "Hometown! Come up and see." I'm guessing the nickname 'Hometown' is sticking because he hasn't called me GG, B-town or Bob for a while. 

Hayden pulls me to stand in front of him and the roof comes to just under my chest. I hold onto the edge of the sunroof and look out at the palm trees and houses as we fly down the freeway. At first Hayden has his hands on my shoulders but then he throws his hands up in the air and yells, "Wooooohooooo!" Which would be the coolest thing ever except he ends it all with a choking cough, "Arghh! Bug! I ate a big ass bug!" He ducks back into the limo.

He is still coughing and choking dramatically when I crouch down and sit on his lap again. Everyone is laughing at his dramatics. I grab a water from behind the secret panel and give it to him. While he is recovering from the bug, several others come to stand in front of us and have their turn at the sunroof. They learned their lesson from Hayden and keep their mouth closed.

When Paolo comes for his turn he leans down and pats my cheek, "How's my cosa dolce today, hmm?" I'm not 'his' anything.

I try to smile and not have a grossed out expression but at the same time I try to grab his hand off my face. "I'm good! I'm really good." I try to make it sound casual but convincing. I pat his hand that I'm holding away from my face. "Thanks for asking." 

I notice Ryland is glaring at Paolo. At least I think he is, his look is a little more menacing than his normal stoic expression. I'm not sure Paolo notices, but he stands to have his turn out the window. We hear Paolo calling out to someone and we see out the window that the other limo has also found the sunroof.