🌻 Chapter 43

🌻

"Dad, we don't have to talk long. I just wanted to tell you that I broke up with Max because he was cheating on me at college." Crickets. "He took your advice and got a college girlfriend. So, I've decided I'm done allowing controlling men to run my life. That includes both you and Max. I'm going to make decisions for myself from now on. You can either choose to support me, or maybe you'll just find that you have one less daughter."

He gasps with shock, "Brooklyn, what did you do?"

Didn't I just say? "I broke up with Max, Dad. He cheated on me."

He makes a slight choking noise, "You stupid girl! What were you thinking?! Max is the best thing that ever happened to you. You are nothing without Max!" 

It's like he shot an arrow at me and hit me dead center. I hear  his voice saying 'stupid girl' and 'nothing' echo over and over in my head. All the air falls from my sails and I flop onto the bed like a wounded bird. 

"Brooklyn, here's what you are going to do. You are going to fix this. Call him back. Apologize. Max loves you, he will take you back. You need to do it now though. Right now, before it's too late."

I barely hear his last words over my noisy sobs. My father really doesn't love me. Did he ever? I try to remember.

My strangled voice manages to answer, "But... but, he cheated on me, Dad." I'm begging for him to see my side, to come to my defense.

My father sighs. His voice is one you would use when explaining something complex to a toddler. "Brooklyn, you and Max aren't married yet. It isn't cheating unless you are married. And I know that Max will never cheat on you. He's a good guy." He pauses for a moment as if I need to catch up, "You need to call him, Honey. Honestly your future is so bleak without him. You need to call him back, tell him you were wrong. You'd be an idiot to let him go." Guess not, no love for his daughter here.

Wait a second...not cheating? "Dad, Max and I were in a committed relationship. He did..." Awkward. "...it with another girl, his other girlfriend. That's cheating. You don't have to be married to cheat!" I hope he can understand my words through my sobs.

"He has another girlfriend?" He clicks his tongue in disapproval. Finally.

"Yes, that is what I've been telling you."

My dad sighs again, "Well, it would have been better if he scratched his itch with different girls, not one. But still Brook, men have needs. Women just don't understand that." Ugh.

"Men have needs? I don't think you understand the word 'needs' Dad. Needs are like air, water, and food." My crying has slowed.

"Yes, but men have sexual needs as well." His voice is so confident, he is so sure he is right.

"And you think  women don't?" There is an edge to my voice now.

"That's correct, Honey. You wouldn't understand. Men are just different than women. Max hasn't done anything wrong. Although, I would prefer he didn't take on a whole second girlfriend. You need to take him back. Maybe the two of you should just marry and get it over with."

I can't help the gasp, "Dad! I don't want to marry Max anymore. I honestly don't know if I ever did. I just went along with everything and never thought about what I wanted. But I'm thinking about it now. And I want a boyfriend that has control over his body and can keep his penis in his pants!" Wow, that came out of my mouth.

There's a gasp, "Brooklyn! Don't you dare use that kind of language." One of Max's rules. My dad never tells Phoenix or Savannah to watch their language.