🌻 Chapter 7

🌻

I've never really had to explain my relationship with Max before. We grew up in a small town and everyone just knew that I was his. I can understand why Ellie and Hayden are surprised though, how many people have a boyfriend in third grade? I should change the subject, "Let's tell about ourselves so we can get to know each other better." I try for a persuasive smile that doesn't have the desired effect.

Ellie is shaking her head, "No getting out of it, Babe. We need to hear the story about your boyfriend first, then the rest of us can share our hobbies."

I sigh, "It isn't a big deal, Max and I have just been dating for a while." Their faces are letting me know they are waiting for the full story. Even Neil peaks out from behind the camera looking a little shook. I sigh, "Fine. I'll go first." 

I tell about the sunflower farm, my siblings, my love of animals, and reading. Finally I get to the part about Max. "Max is a year older than me, the same age as my older brother, Phoenix. One day when he was in fourth grade he was over playing with my brother. That day they let me and my twin play with them. We all had an epic battle in the backyard where I was the princess and Max was fighting my dragon brothers with a Nerf sword to save me. Anyways, when Max's parents came to take him home, he grabbed me around the middle and asked his parents if he could keep me. Both our parents thought it was the cutest thing ever."

"Over the next months, they teased about it endlessly. Like when I would ask for ice cream or something they would joke and say 'Go ask Max, he's in charge of you now.'" 

They are all raptly listening, so I continue. "Well, Max had always been a handful, getting into trouble and such. And when they jokingly put him in charge of me, he started to change. He became more responsible, less of a bully. He almost entirely stopped misbehaving. So it just morphed from a joke into reality. From then on, everyone knew I belonged to Max. It's kinda silly really." 

Ellie and Hayden are looking at me like I grew an extra head. "I know it's a bit different, but it isn't THAT weird. Don't make me feel bad about it." Once I say that, Ellie tries to normalize her expression. Ryland has been resting his chin on his fist, with his fingers kind of covering his mouth as he listens. His eyes show him processing my story in his head.

Hayden is still frowning though,  "Okay, quick question; why does the boyfriend, aka 'the boy your parents handed you over to', order your food for you?"

"Oh, well, Max thinks I don't make very good choices when I order for myself. He doesn't really like me to get soda or greasy foods. He usually orders me a salad or something healthy. And he really hates it when I take a long time to order, so he just does it for me."

Hayden's face pinches, like he's smelled sulfur. "But you said he was gone to college last year. You must have eaten out while he was gone."

"Yeah, but there aren't very many restaurants in our town so I know what to order when I go to those."

Ryland sniffs in a breath and lifts his head off his hands, "So, let me get this straight." He pauses like he is thinking of how to word his question. "You order what your boyfriend wants you to eat, even when he isn't there?" Ryland has his usual expression like he just tasted something off-putting.

"Yeah. He'll usually ask what I ordered when he calls me at night so it is better if I just get the right food." Both Hayden and Ryland clearly disapprove. "Hey, it works for us."

Even Ellie has her eyebrows up like she is surprised. "And your whole family just goes along with this shit?"

I nod, "Well, except for Austin. He doesn't like Max, never has." When no one says anything I change the subject, "Ellie, where are you from?"