🌻 Chapter 38

🌻

As soon as I see Max is calling, my smile drops. I start breathing hard. I touch the green 'accept' button and tentatively lift the phone to my ear. "Hello?"

"WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST WATCH?!" I suck my bottom lip into my mouth but it doesn't keep the tears from starting. "ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME RIGHT NOW, BROOKLYN!? I KNOW I DID NOT JUST SEE YOU THROWING YOURSELF AT THOSE MEN!" 

I wince then bring my arm up to my face but I'm wearing a sundress so I can't even wipe my tears because I have no sleeves.

Ry wraps his arms around me, picks me up takes two steps and sits us down on the couch. He plops me down so I'm straddling his lap. I bury my face in his shoulder while I listen to Max's continued screaming. 

"I HAD TO FUCKING SIT IN THE INDEPENDENCE THEATER WITH EVERYONE FROM TOWN, WATCHING YOU WHORE YOURSELF OUT!" 

Ry's arms tighten around me and he pulls me close in a really comforting hug. I'm glad he's here. 

"YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN THEIR FACES! EVERYONE WAS CONGRATULATING ME BUT I COULD TELL THEY WERE THINKING WHAT A SLUT YOU ARE!" 

My heart breaks with his mean words. He's never said anything like this to me before. Sadness blooms in my chest because I know he can never take these words back now that they are said. I will never forget that he called me that. 

"I'm sorry! I'm so sorry, Max. Please don't yell at me. Please don't be mad." I whimper. 

I've tried so hard to be good, but I don't think I can ever be good enough for Max. I loudly sob into Ry's shoulder.

"DON'T BE MAD?! MAYBE YOU SHOULDN'T BE SLEEPING WITH OTHER MEN IF YOU DON'T WANT ME TO BE MAD! HOW DARE YOU LET THEM TOUCH WHAT'S MINE!? I LOOK LIKE AN ABSOLUTE FOOL RIGHT NOW! LISTEN HERE YOU LITTLE SKANK..."

"Alright, that's enough." Ry pulls the phone from my hand and brings it up to his ear. "Hey Max this is Chase, we met in Galveston, if you remember." 

I wonder if Ry could hear what Max was saying. Actually now that I think of it, of course he could. I had the phone right there by his ear and Max was not quiet. 

"Yeah, no. Sorry. Brooklyn can't come back to the phone right now. For some reason she is crying too hard to talk." Ry rubs up and down my back. I can hear Max's reply is angry but I can't hear his words. "Hey, real quick before I hang up on you, do you remember what we talked about in Texas? Mhmmmm. You sure? I gave you are warning, remember?" A warning? I frown. When did Ry and Max talk in Texas? "Well, let me refresh your memory. I told you that if you weren't nice to your girlfriend she wouldn't be yours for much longer. Does that ring a bell?" 

I sit up, frowning more. I take a ragged breath in, "Ry."

"Well, my bad. Maybe you didn't realize that calling your girlfriend a whore and a slut isn't nice." My mouth drops open and I reach for the phone but he turns his head so I can't take it. "With the tight grip you are keeping on her, she's going to slip right through your fingers, Asshole."

I'm horrified, "Ry! You can't talk to him like that!" 

He pulls the phone away from his ears and pushes the button to end the call and gives me a steady look like he didn't do anything wrong. 

"Why would you say that to him? You shouldn't have said that!"

He sets my phone on the couch next to him. "Baby, someone needs to tell him he can't talk to you like that." 

I shake my head at him, "This has nothing to do with you." I pick my phone back up. "I need to call him back."

Ry frowns and snatches the phone from my hand. "Don't." He gives me a steady look. "Don't call him back." He warns, using an authoritative tone. "He's just going to keep yelling and saying awful things. You can't just take that kind of treatment, Buttercup." His voice softens then, "You deserve better than that. Better than him. You should have someone who treats you like the sweet girl you are."