🌻 Chapter 30

🌻

I lie here in bed, in the hut. Technically it's Ry's bed but he isn't here with me. My mind replays the last fifteen or so hours of my life. I woke up groggy at the hospital last night and I still don't have full memory of how I got there. I remember the photoshoot in the icy water. I was trying to be brave, even though it was so painfully cold. 

I have flashes of visions of Ry carrying me out of the pool and holding me in the car. I hear snippets of his words of encouragement. But I have no idea how much of that is real since I have not seen or talked to Ry since.

When I woke in the hospital both Haydie and Stacy were there. I felt confused, disoriented, what I imagine it feels like to be drunk. And I was weak. It took all my energy to lift my hand or head even slightly. The doctor informed me that what I did was dangerous. Over a thousand people die each year from hypothermia. Then they made several jokes about me almost being the first one to die that way in Hawaii and the fact that they had to take the blood warming machine out of shrink wrap because they've never used it before.

Haydie was sweet, holding my hand. When I asked him where Ry was he just said, "Um, he said he had to go."

I frowned a bit at that, "Was he okay? Did he get cold too?"

Hayden shook his head, "He was fine. I'm sure we'll see him soon."

But we didn't. I stayed at the hospital overnight, alone, for observation. Stacy and Hayden came to pick me up when I was discharged early this morning. Hayden bought me a special pair of warm pajamas that are my new favorite. The doctors gave me strict orders to take it easy for a couple of days and to not have any big changes in temperature while my body is recovering. Stacy took that to mean that I need to miss the photo showcase and elimination ceremony today. So I'm lying here in bed.

Last night, Stacy gave me my phone after I had recovered for a bit. She had already informed my parents of my accident when I was unconscious. I talked with my mom and dad on speaker phone for a few minutes and texted with Aussie once my dexterity improved. They had all seen the commercials for the show and said they were having a watching party in town.

I also called Max. It was nice to talk with him but with the the five hour time difference it was early morning there. He's always easier going when he just wakes up. 

"I miss you Brooklyn, when are you coming home?"

"Whenever they kick me off, I never know."

"All I can think about is you there kissing and touching other guys. It's driving me crazy."

"Max! I am not kissing anyone. YOU are the only one I've ever kissed!"

"Really? So you are being good?"

"Yes Max, I'm being very good."

"Well, if they are going to put your life in danger, maybe you should come home."

I laugh, "I'll be home soon enough. The doctor says I have to go rest." We say our goodbyes.

When Hayden got me situated in the hut this morning, I noticed Ry's suitcase wasn't here. Hayden informed me that Ry's stuff was in the other room. Hay assured me that Ry had killed the giant spider and didn't just let it out to roam free. He said Ry was out for a run and I could see him later.

I listened for Ry to come back and he did. But he hopped in the shower and was in the other bedroom for a while. I thought maybe he didn't know I was here. I considered getting up to go see but then I heard Ry and Hayden arguing out front. I didn't make out much of their disagreement but I heard Haydie say, "You didn't go in to see her at all?!" So I think Ry knows I'm here.