📷 Chapter 13

📷 Ryland Chase Adler POV

After about six hours of sleep my body always wakes up on its own. I've never really needed an alarm. The first couple days in this house I was disoriented for a minute after waking, forgetting where I was. But today, I'm well aware before I even open my eyes. 

I stretch and turn my head. My barely open eyes take in the sleeping face of the girl who has occupied most of my thoughts for the last few days. Hayden has mounted her again and I have no idea how she can breathe, let alone sleep, with him fully on top of her.

I sit up and stretch again, avoiding the urge to save her. So fuckin' not my personality to want to help. I've remained an impartial observer my entire life, never caring about anyone enough to jump in. This girl is threatening to change that.

I stand up and listen. Nothing. Best time to be in this house is in the morning when it's quiet and none of the crew have arrived yet. It hasn't been easy on me to be around this many people all day but so far I've held it together pretty well. Hopefully I can keep it up.

I need a run. I sluff to the bathroom to get ready. Technically they've said we can't leave the grounds unless it is on a scheduled outing. But for some reason I feel like the rules may not apply to me. It doesn't really matter because I rarely let rules dictate my behavior. But I want something here, so I'll mostly try to behave.

As I pass back by the bedroom, on my way to the stairs, I see her again smashed like a damn pancake. "Fuck," I sigh. "Fine."

I kneel down in front of her. She's just as adorable when she sleeps as she is when she's awake. 'Adorable', there's a word I never thought I'd use. Her sleepy eyes open and focus on me then give a long blink. I can't help but smile at the dreamy look she has in her hazel eyes.

"I'm going for a jog. I thought you might want to move to my bed before Hayden bulldozes you under."

She squirms a bit, I can see the moment she realizes how stuck she is. She nods and whispers, "Thanks, Ry." I've never met anyone in my life that is as sweet as this girl.

Back home in Oakland no one gets the luxury of being sweet or innocent. Toughness is a requirement for survival. I've never even encountered a sweet girl like this. Maybe I've seen a fictional character in a movie somewhat like her, but I didn't think they really existed. For me it's like discovering unicorns are real.

I didn't miss the fact that she called me Ry. She's used this nickname before. Why it doesn't bother me, I have no idea. I've always been Chase, except when substitute teachers called roll. I wouldn't have survived in the projects with a pretentious name like 'Ryland'. I'm sure my mom made up the damn name. Well, maybe not, but I've never met another one. 

Chase is an average enough name. Growing up, no one raised an eyebrow at it. The word 'chase' was familiar enough to us all. We were all chasing our next high, chasing dreams to get out of our shitty neighborhood, or more likely being chased by someone, usually the law. Chase fit in, Ryland did not. The only time I ever felt like a 'Ryland' was when I lost myself in reading books after school. Oddly enough, Brooklyn calling me Ryland doesn't bother me. Probably because someone like her would know a Ryland, not a Chase.

I shove Hayden off of her, more violently than necessary by the sound of his moans. I help her out from under the covers. Damn. I forgot she was still wearing my shirt. I suck in my breath at the sight of her. Sleepy face, messy hair, just in my shirt. The hem tantalizingly brushing against the skin on her thighs. 

"Oh God." I don't give the accompanying groan that my body wants to make with my observations. This girl is going to be the death of me if I don't get a handle on this.