🌻 Chapter 9

🌻

After a short drive, the limos pull up to a park. We all get out and gather under a shady tree so Rhiannon can give instructions. Chris is here too, it's the first time I've seen him today. There is a big field with some shaded areas by large trees on the perimeter. There are some wooded areas on the back and one side of the field.

I look around and I see Neil filming, his camera is pointed in my direction. Hmm. Ryland sees me notice this and opens his eyes just a bit wider like 'See? I told you.' I just give a slight shake of my head. I'm sure he's wrong.

Rhiannon says, "We have a picnic lunch planned, then we will have our first competition. The catered lunch is on those tables in the shade. You can eat anywhere here in the park. We'll start filming in about an hour." I don't see any picnic tables or blankets so I think we are eating in the grass.

I hang back and let other people dish their plates first. I'm not starving because I had the muffin and I really don't want to hold up the line if I get to a difficult decision. Once everyone else has their food, I pick up a paper plate and dish myself a fried chicken leg, macaroni and cheese, baked beans, a few chips, and watermelon. The green salad is gone, thank goodness. I grab a bottle of water.

I look around for a place to eat and I see Alexis in the group near me sitting on the ground in a circle so I keep moving. I see Paolo in the next group. Nope. The last group is all men, but Hayden is there and I feel most comfortable with him. They are also in a circle sitting in the grass. I don't want to squeeze in between Hayden and Ralph even though there is a little bit of a space, so I sit kinda between them but a little behind and closer to Hayden.

The cameraman is just to the right of me, standing behind Ralph and Thrash so I don't think he can film me very well since I'm sitting near his feet. He has a better view of Ryland and Scott who are facing us.

Hayden notices me sit down and he winks and steals one of my chips, even though he has some on his own plate. I half heartedly slap at his hand and he gives a little pout. If he knew how much I debated before taking those chips he'd probably leave them for me.

It sounds like this group of guys are doing some trash talking but I'm just catching the tail end of it. Ralph says to Ryland, "You think you're going to win everything, Pretty Boy? I have money that says Sammy and I beat you today." Awwe, he calls her Sammy. I bet she loves that. 

Ryland shakes his head, "Nah, I couldn't in good conscience take money from you, Old Man." He gives Ralph a steady gaze as he says it. Ry looks infinitely confident, not a waver in his calm collected gaze.

Ralph's nostrils flair in annoyance. I appreciate Scott when he changes the subject. "Hey Chase, thanks for asking Stacy about the cell phones last night. Hopefully she listens, you had good arguments. It feels pretty secluded not to have access to the internet." Ryland nods to Scott but he is still eyeing Ralph with his stoic expression. I'm picking at my food, I'm not that hungry.

Thrash chimes in, "Yeah, thanks dude. I'm nearly dying without porn. I can't believe I've gone over two days. It's tough. Real tough, man." His voice fades with the last words like he is saying them to himself.

When Thrash mentions porn I can't help my reaction. I lift my chin and open my eyes wide. Scott catches my response because he is on the opposite side of the circle to me and he chuckles a little. "Hey Brooklyn, I have a question for you." I give him my attention. "At the escape rooms, when it came down to me and Chase, who were you hoping for?" He gives a little smirk like he thinks he knows the answer. Scott is handsome but oh boy is this guy confident. And I mean cocky confident, not stoically confident like Ry is.

They all turn to look at me. I can't help but blush with all the attention on me. The cameraman even moves a bit farther over to get a better shot of me. I don't even know what to say. I don't want to insult Scott, but of course I prefer Ryland.