🌻 Chapter 21

🌻

"How did you..." I frown, "What just..." I can't even form the question. "Whoa, whoa." I pull on his hand so we stop, "What just happened there? Did Max really just say I could go on a ride with you?" I'm still frowning. This has to be some prank, there is no way this is real.

Ry chuckles, his good mood from earlier seems to be back. "Let's not question it. C'mon, I want to get a snack before standing in line." A snack?! Yes, Sir! We approach the food booth and Ry stands behind me. "What looks good? Take your time." 

He brushes a loose lock of hair behind my ear then his hands run down my upper arms. I relax, he's so calming. After having to be so careful of everything I said and did for hours with Max, now I can be myself. Ry is so chill.

"I'm... I don't have money. Again." I successfully avoid apologizing.

Ry leans in a bit and says, "It's on me, Buttercup. Pick whatever you want."

I get a grossly overpriced funnel cake with huckleberry jam. Ry gets a giant chocolate chip cookie that he leaves in the bag and doesn't eat.

"Where to first?" He asks as we walk toward the kiddy area.

I smile, I get to go on the rides I want! "Ferris wheel?" He nods and leads the way.

Once we are in line, I tuck into my funnel cake. Oh my gosh it's so good. 

"Sooo much sugar!" 

I eat as much as I can, Ry takes a bite or two and I throw the rest away. Luckily, Ry grabbed some little wet wipes from the food stand. He opens the little foil pack and hands the wipe to me so I can get the stickiness off my fingers. He takes the cloth from me and holds my chin as he brushes over a few spots by my mouth. 

"See? You're a good dad already." I grin at him. His eyes darken a bit as they investigate my face.

The breeze blows through from the Gulf and I give a little shiver as we move forward in line. 

"Arms up." I obey before I know why. 

Ry pulls his white Supreme hoodie over my head. It's too big for me but it is so soft and it smells like him which I love. I pop through like a turtle and he pulls the hood down and fixes my ponytail as he says, "You forgot a jacket again." I can't reply because I'm currently melting under his attention. His hand drops to the small of my back, "Better?" I nod.

Ralph sees us and approaches with his family. Two boys and two girls who looked to be in their early twenties. "Cherry!" Ry pulls me a little closer to him. "These are my kids." He points to each one as he introduces them, "This is Marlee, Jason, and Ryan, and this is my wife Sashelle." He pulls her to his side in a hug. 

Wait, what? I stand in stunned silence for a minute because his wife looks the same age as his children.

I try to recover quickly and give pleasantries and shake hands. Ry doesn't move or introduce himself and Ralph doesn't acknowledge him. I'm not going to force it. They say goodbye and carry on.

"Wife?" I can't help myself. "Did he say 'wife'?"

Ry chuckles, "I bet she was roommates with his daughter in college. God that was awkward."

"I really though he and Samantha had a thing." I'm still shook.

We move up in line, "I think they do. He's a predator."

"Next!" We move forward to load into the seat. The attendant attaches the bar over our laps. The wheel turns just a bit then stops as they load the next car. After a few more, the whole wheel goes around multiple times. Around back and up over the top. It's like flying, I lift my hands into the air like wings.