01;

After what seemed like an eternity we could finally change after the ceremony and head to the party that would end our high school years forever.

I wasn't going to go because I never heard anything good about that kind of party that had been organized by someone from our grade.

There was always some cat fight or cheating that occurred so much drama that sometimes the police were involved too.

My friend, Leigh Maxwell, with her winning attitude and endless tattoos on her skin, made me change my mind for once. What was graduation without getting drunk and letting all your stupid classmates go?

My mother wasn't very fond of me joining Leigh to go to Jolene's party who happened to be the most two-faced person that's ever been in our lives. She could be your best friend, someone who'd cover you anytime, or the kind of person who'd stab you. Her kindness and loyalty depended on her mood for the day which was irritating and somewhat sad.

The only reason I even agreed to go to this one last party was that Leigh promised me that she'd take me to the cinema and everything would be all in her wallet. Including the shopping that we'd do afterward.

My mother always said that if you stood your ground against money then you'd value more. But what if it was about a movie night?

I watched my mother throw my bag into her car that had my robe in it. When she closed the door, she crossed her arms, her piercing blue eyes never leaving me.

I already knew what was going on inside her head.

"I know what kind of lecture you're about to say," I started before she could open her mouth. "And I think that we can skip that part."

My mother wasn't impressed with my attitude needless. Her eyes were narrowed and she had that kind of look on her face. The look that every child knew and was either frightened or frustrated from it.

It was the latter for me. Once I'd gotten older and she had become more immature her stern words and expression had lost the spark.

If I was younger then I'd not consider, but obey every time without a question.

But life changed people, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse.

Maybe it was for the worse for both of us. She'd lost herself and so did I even though I'd tried everything in my power to not look after her.

"You don't even go to parties, Heddy." she gave me an exhausted look.

I waved my hand around while looking for a reasonable answer that would be good enough for her. But I would probably stand here next year if I wanted to reason with her. No one and nothing was good enough for her.

"I might have to find out what I've been missing out on," I answered casually.

"You said you don't even like Josephine," she replied.

"It's Jolene." I corrected her without breaking eye contact. Not that I was in the mood to stand up for Jolene who was only happy if people would benefit her.

"Same thing." my mother shrugged and grabbed her car keys from her purse.

"This is the first and probably the last party where I'd show up," I said. "You act like you never had fun when you were a teen."

Maybe she hadn't and that was one of the main reasons why she started to act like one lately. Or because after ten years of loneliness she could finally find a guy who'd show actual interest in her.

"I'm not a role model in this situation here." she defended herself and I almost said that she never has been, but clapped my mouth shut before the words would have left my mouth.