28;

At first, I got a little paranoid at Marina's new information for me about open relationships.

I even started to search for articles and real-life stories regarding them just to know what was I facing.

The more real stories I've read about people turning into a couple after starting a physical relationship first baffled me.

There was a chance that we'd get more invested in each other that was beyond innocent friendship and that scared me.

Seeley had a girlfriend.

Whom he cared for.

And our physical intimidation was nothing more than just satisfying our needs.

I just hoped that Marina was wrong about the future that has been waiting for us. Not that it wouldn't make me feel special – I'd only have him if he'd end things with Clara because there was no way I'd ever put myself through something like that.

I couldn't imagine myself spending time with other guys while I had a boyfriend. And I couldn't stop the jealousy crawling under my skin like poison, knowing that he was out with someone else.

Then we didn't even discuss that he might fall in love with someone else while spending time in bed with them.

I just knew that my heart would not be able to play that kind of game.

I kept scrolling through my phone just when someone knocked on my door.

"Come in."

When the door opened slowly, I saw Austin's head popping through the space between the door and its doorframe.

"Hey, Austin," I said, putting my phone down.

"Hi, am I interrupting you?"

I spread my arms and looked around in the empty room. Leigh was still at work while Emilia went out with Casen to harass her while at work. And Seeley was working until the evening, so it was the two of us now.

"Are you serious?"

Austin didn't seem to pick up on my sarcasm because he looked genuinely confused and shy.

"Yes, Austin." I nodded. "You're interrupting my daydreaming while swimming in my sweat."

Austin pushed the door open fully and leaned against the doorframe.

"I thought we could do something." He shrugged.

"Like go for a swim?" I suggested.

Austin grimaced and hissed.

"It's too hot out there, you know I can't handle the heat." He reminded me and I nodded.

I couldn't have forgotten, for some reason last summer he just collapsed while we were playing volleyball in the afternoon one day. He was confused by that too because it has never happened to him before.

Well, our bodies did change with time, so we couldn't be always a hundred percent sure about our conditions.

"Maybe later." He smiled and I got up from bed.

"Okay, then what do you have in mind?"

Austin straightened his position and looked back to the hallway behind him.

"I thought that..." He started it nervously. "But only if you don't mind of course."

"Yes?" I asked, expecting the worst kind of thing right away.

"That you would let me paint you." He said and I raised an eyebrow.

"I'm flattered that you'd like to paint me but I'm a horrible model."

"Oh, come on." He sighed. "Emilia and Leigh let me paint them, you're the only missing person now from the girls."

"Is this some kind of bigger portrait of the three of us?" I asked carefully.

"Yes," He nodded. "I'd be very happy if you said yes."

"Bad thing is that I don't have a heart," I murmured, thinking back to our school years.

"I know you do." He touched my shoulder softly. "And I'd never ask anything from you ever again."

I was thinking for a second before looking up at him.

"Can I see the portrait first?" I asked and he glared at me.

"Absolutely not." He said seriously.

"That's not fair," I complained like a little kid.

"Life is everything but fair." He crossed his arms. "You're coming or not?"

I huffed but followed him out of the room anyway. I liked that he wanted to make a portrait of us but my curiosity was one hell of an itch inside my body.

When he gestured to the couch, I took a seat and fixed my hair while he sat down behind his cadence. He must have either gotten ready before asking for my permission or was just finishing the parts of the painting that he was almost done with.

For a few minutes, we were in silence while he was starting the outlines of my face. He examined my face with slightly parted lips as he focused on my features.

"Have you thought about selling your paintings?" I asked.

He flipped the paintbrush in his hand.

"I don't think that would work." He said and I frowned.

"Why would you think that?" I asked, confused. He could make tons of money from his paintings if he would have had the courage to show the world his work.

"Because I'm not Da Vinci." His eyes met mine for a brief second.

It took me a few seconds to understand his reference and I burst out in an embarrassed laugh.

"Are we still doing that?"

"Doing what?"

"You being a baby, I mean."

He sighed and shook his head almost hesitantly.

"If being a baby means that I know my worth and don't want others to shit on my hobby?" He asked and I tried to hide my smile.

"I was just joking, you know that."

"You have some mean and heart-stabbing jokes, Heddy Lopez." He remarked.

"I only do it because you are important to me."

"Important in a way where I'd be your emotional punchbag if no one else was around?" He teased and I shrugged.

"Well, we all have different hobbies, don't we?" I asked quietly. "You paint, Emilia likes to roast Leigh and I just compare you guys to successful people so that you'd feel shit about yourself."

Austin narrowed his eyes.

"I'll paint you with a big nose if you don't stop talking." He threatened me and I gasped in horror.

I'd take the mean comments, the pushing under the water pranks but I would not have him ruin my face in the portrait of the three of us.

"Don't you dare!" I jumped up and he instantly froze.

Making my way over to him to see what he has done so far, he placed his free hand on my stomach and tried to push me away.

"Get out of my face!"

"Let me see it!"

"You're ruining it!"

"I want to see it! Austin!"

"Gosh, you're heavier than you look." He breathed tiredly. "Ever heard about cardio?"

"Screw you!"

"Stop it..."

I didn't know how or when but we both got covered in paint during our struggle which only made Austin even more irritated than he already has been with me.

Now I was sure that he'd never ask me to be his muse again.