10;

Whenever we crossed a crossroad or turned around the corner with Perkyn, I kept looking to my side from the corner of my eye. Mostly because I didn't want any of the boys to show up and ruin my possible partnership.

If Casen or Austin would pop out of nowhere, I was sure they would humiliate me in the worst way.

"So, this would be it," he stopped in the middle of the busy sidewalk while tourists and excited kids surrounded us.

I turned to my side and glanced up at the brick building that looked old school and also intimate. The name Twa Corbies was lightning above us like a rumble of thunder.

"Twa Corbies?" I asked and Perkyn shrugged.

"The owner likes classics, I suppose." He shrugged and opened the door for me.

When I stepped into the diner that was full of life, I was immediately welcomed by the great smell of cakes and coffee.

I hadn't expected to see that many kids but half of the diner were teeming with them. Almost each one of them had a piece of cake or muffin placed in front of them while they weren't letting their parents off the hook.

"Why don't you take a sit?" Perkyn asked and nodded toward the back of the diner. "I'll get you something really delicious."

"I don't trust you enough to leave you alone with my food." I narrowed my eyes and he raised his eyebrows.

"We are co-workers already, Heddy." He reminded me of the obvious. "Why would I put anything into your food?"

I crossed my arms and tilted my head to the side.

"I meant I don't trust you to not eat it," I corrected myself and his eyes lighted up.

"Oh, my bad," he put his hands up in defense. "I didn't know you were such a glutton."

I gasped and leaned back dramatically. I had never met someone who would insult me right away after they had just met me.

I could pull that out of my bucket list also.

This summer has promised itself to be different and new.

"I'm not," I said indignantly.

"Are you sure you aren't?" he asked with a suspicious face while his wrinkles deepened under his few days-old stubbles.

"I might be," I turned my head away like a child. "But I won't acknowledge it from someone else."

"I see," he pursued his lips. "I'll watch my mouth from now on."

"Thought so," I agreed and walked away from him.

Now that I've gotten to know Perkyn, I wasn't so stressed about my first day at the hotel. I knew that no matter what would happen with my new colleagues, I'd have Perkyn there who was the embodiment of coolness.

I couldn't wait to tell Leigh and Emilia about my job and my first impression of both Caleb and Perkyn.

I almost didn't believe that I got this lucky. What would happen if I paid attention to myself and had my priorities in line?

"I haven't touched a crumb on it, I swear," Perkyn brought two plates in each hand and put a piece of creamy cake in front of me.

"Yeah right, now you feel threatened," I teased him as he put his plate on the other side of the black table.

"And now..." he murmured and stepped behind me with a still posture.

I furrowed my brows and glanced back at him over my shoulders only to see him getting ready for something.