09;

I couldn't help but sigh in relief as I walked out of Weran Hotel with a copy of my contract and my dark blue uniform.

It took them a few days but eventually, I got the job. The manager, Caleb Jenkins, told me that over the past few years since they founded the hotel, most of the employees would be teenagers during the summers.

At first, I was afraid to speak up but once Caleb had let me know that all I needed to do was breathe and get my head right, I could feel my anxiety burn down.

Even if Caleb was around twenty or twenty-five years older than me, after I got comfortable in my place, it felt like I'd been talking to an old friend. He was open and friendly during the entire interview which was a relief considering how problematic my first job interview had been.

It was great to know that not every manager was a piece of shit. They were just outnumbered, unfortunately.

To celebrate the first good thing that has happened to me since I'd arrived at Cannon Beach, I decided to have a drink and just let myself relax.

When I walked through the doors of Weran Hotel, I heard heavy footsteps catching up with me.

"Hey, sorry..." an unknown voice cut through the silence that's fallen upon me.

I stopped walking and turned to the voice. To my surprise, I was faced with a boy who could be around my age. He wasn't much taller than me, he had quiff-cut butter blonde hair that reminded me of those old punk rockstars from decades ago.

He had a right eyebrow ring that suited his face and contrasted his dark eyes. His right arm was almost full of tattoos and represented many things on the same skin.

"Yes?" I asked, unsure what to say or do.

"Would you give me your number?" he blurted out and my eyes widened.

That escalated quickly.

Since I've never had this kind of pick-up situation with a complete stranger, I didn't know whether to cuss him out or just walk away.

"No?" I asked unsure how to react.

He furrowed his eyebrows then groaned and buried his face into his hands.

"I suck." his voice was muffled behind his hands.

"Indeed you do." I said, looking around if anyone could hear this awkward conversation.

"I'm sorry... I just... I got scared," he admitted and I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Did I scare you?" I asked in a confused way.

"Maybe you did."

"But I didn't even say anything." I tried to defend myself while my brain was storming. The thoughts just wouldn't stop racing inside my head.

Was this just a prank with his friends? They were probably recording us and I'd be the most ridiculous person online.

This was something that I could imagine myself getting into. Sometimes I had too much bad luck that the most unbelievable things could happen to me daily and I wouldn't even be surprised or startled anymore.

This nonsense seemed something that also would happen to me.

"I didn't want to be inappropriate..." he tried and dropped his head. He seemed more nervous than I ever could be at that moment.

"Truth be told..." I lowered my voice. "You actually were."

He seemed crushed by my words but not in a disturbing way. More like he was tired of him screwing things up.