Chapter 24: The Charade: Part 3:

~Chapter Song: Bad Liar, Imagine Dragons~

I run downstairs, to find David and Cameron sitting on the couch with their heads looking at the floor like they were children getting yelled at for breaking a vase. In normal circumstances, I would never let them live it down.

"David." They both jumped off the couch and looked at me with a frown.

I threw the mask to David. He caught it and avoided my eyes.

"You are dating Christine.". He was the mystery guy.

"And you are dating Cameron." He pointed at me.

"Even if I am. You are dating my best friend and you didn't even tell me. None of you. My best friend, David.". I didn't know how I felt about that. It was weird. Seemed like the two worlds, I didn't want to meet had intersected a long time ago.

"How long have you been dating her?"

"Two years.", he answered looking at the floor.

"What? You've been hiding it for two whole years?".

He nodded. "What about you two?"

I didn't hurry to answer, so Cameron took this one, "A month."

No. I wasn't going to do the exact thing I was accusing him of doing.

"No. That's enough.", I said. I would tell them everything. The fake dating. The party. Everything. I would be entirely truthful.

We were in over our heads, thinking we would get out of this, without anything going wrong. Without entangling our families.

"That's enough drama, for today.", my mum said, "Cameron and Winter, we are very happy for you, but you should have told us sooner."

David's mum started talking, "David you should have let Winter know that you are dating her best friend, a lot sooner"

It was Cameron's dad's turn to speak, "Cameron, please take Winter home. The adults need a drink."

"Or two.", my dad continued.

"I just need some alone time.", David's father added.

Cameron nodded and handed me my jacket -his-. We got in the car.

"Seatbelt.", he reminded me and continued "If it makes you feel any better, I didn't know either."

"You didn't know who David's girlfriend was?"

He shook his head. I really thought he had met her before.

"I have a question for you."

"Shoot.", he said and finally let a smile free.

"Why do you always remind everyone to wear the seatbelt?"

We should be talking about what happened, and deciding our future steps. But right now, I just wanted some normal car conversation. Something to forget all the drama that had just happened. Those car conversations always made me feel a bit closer to Cameron. Like adding one piece of the puzzle at a time. And somehow after all had happened, that's what I needed. To feel closer to him.

His jaw tensed, "Do you remember my grandpa?"

"Barely."

"Do you remember how he died?"

I shook my head.

"Well, we got in the car, ready to go to the mall to do some shopping or something. He got in but refused to wear his seatbelt. I would never forget what he said. He said 'In my time, cars didn't have seatbelts', so he just sat down on the seat next to the driver. At the time it seemed such a funny thing to say. We were driving down the road when this driver came from the opposite direction..." -tears ran down his eyes. I took his hand- "He hit the car, and... I remember... I remember the blood. I remember crying. I remember my dad covering my eyes, and I remember fighting to see because I hadn't realized... I hadn't realized... He died in that car accident. Just because of a stupid seatbelt. Since then, I've just always reminded people to wear it, because I...I..."