Chapter 28: Midnight at the Magnolia: the Aftermath:

~Chapter Song: 18, One Direction~

We were so close; I couldn't even breathe.

"Don't overthink it.", he whispered to my ear.

And he kissed me. His lips were on mine. A hand holding my waist, and the other on my neck, holding me close.

I kissed him back. My hands resting on his shoulders.

He grabbed my waist, pulling me even closer and I passed my fingers through his curls.

At that moment, I had forgotten. I wasn't me and he wasn't Cameron. We were just two people. No background history making everything harder. Without plans and deals that made us doubt what was real and what was not.

"Winter. Cameron", my father's voice made us part.

Fuck! My dad had opened the door.

Yep! I was that unlucky. If it was my mum, she would probably, say something like "oh sorry kids." and close the door again, but not my dad. No. My dad just stood there; eyes darting from me to Cameron, over and over again, not saying anything.

My cheeks were burning, and I was touching my lips with my fingers as if I was tracing hints of the kiss.

Cameron, with a similar reaction, was standing next to me trying to find the right thing to say.

Then he just turned to me saying "I should go. Bye Winter. Mathew. I mean Mr. Santiago.", he nodded to my father, "Goodnight.". He padded my shoulder twice and left for his car.

Wuss.

And there we were, me and my dad. Avoiding each other eyes.

In general, I could talk to him about anything, but boys? That was his weak spot. And Cameron and I? That was something he was trying really hard not to be awkward about. I knew he did. Finding us kissing on the front porch definitely didn't help him accept it.

After a minute or two, my pulse went back to normal, and I was able to speak full sentences again. 

We couldn't keep standing outside avoiding eye contact, so I walked next to him, saying "Hi, dad."

I begged and begged that he would pretend as if nothing had happened. Like he didn't just see his daughter kissing a boy. But no. My dad moved from the position he was frozen from the door to the kitchen countertop, and said the thing, no daughter wanted her father to talk about,

"Do I have to talk to you about protection?"

I trembled in grossness, "Oh, dad. Please no."

One dramatic experience-awkward talk was enough to scar me for a lifetime. Did not need a second one, to traumatize me.

"I don't know, honey, that looked pretty... intense.", he pointed at the door, still not able to look me directly in the eyes. In all fairness, I wasn't looking him in the eyes either.

"Dad. Please stop.". I placed my bag on the table.

"I only want to make sure that you are being careful. Both of you."

Why wasn't he, his usual uncomfortable self with this stuff? I'm pretty sure my mother was behind this.

"We are dad, don't worry.". If all this was real, at least his words would have a point. But it wasn't. Not before five minutes ago at least.

"Oh. Oh.", his voice a bit raised, and I knew I said something he didn't want to hear, "So have you two..?"

"No, dad. As we have both said to you all, repeatedly, before, we aren't doing it. Now can we please drop this?" I needed that conversation to be over, as fast as possible.

"Ok, honey. I trust you. You know that right?"

"I know, dad.". I gave him a hug and went up to my room before he would decide to open another conversation.

Since whatever the hell that was, was over; I went to Harry's room, wanting to clean the air with him too.

He was sitting at his desk writing stuff in his notebook. Lyrics, I guessed, because he hadn't done homework since kindergarten.

"Hi.", I said and sat on the floor with my back on the wall.

"Winter, I'm sorry, I shouldn't..."

"Yeah, you should.", I interrupted him, "You were right. I was so caught up on all the Cameron shit, that I haven't been focused on the people around me. I took you for granted and I really shouldn't. I'm sorry."

"No, I shouldn't have said that. You have your problems and I have mine. It just happened that you have a lot more of that than me lately. That is nothing to be sorry for."

I gave him a hug.

When I pulled away, he frown and pinched my left cheek.

"Ouch.", I slapped his hand.

"Why do you look so flustered?"

I bit my bottom lip, "Cameron and I kissed after the dinner."

"What?", he asked in the same high-pitched voice my dad made.

"And dad caught us.", I made a face of disguise.

"What?", he copied my face.

I went to my room through the window, not giving him a chance for any questions, since I probably didn't have any answers.

Time to focus on tonight's events.

Now, what was that kiss?

~~~

A/N:

Kind of a smaller chapter, but it's just a filler for the next one.

The next chapter will be gold, I promise.

~~~