Chapter 38: The Perfect Promise:

A/N:

Hey guys! I'm putting the author's note here because I don't want to ruin the end's vibe, so here we go...

Sorry for the minor delay, my friend was texting me to finally publish the last chapter since it's been two days. I told myself it was to keep the suspense, but I was just not ready for the book to end. It's the first book I've ever written (in English), so it's so weird that it's finally over. 😥

Thank you all for reading until the end.😊

Also, this isn't the end, I've got plenty of more books under my sleeve, (and a Peter Parker's fanfic if you believe it or not, because why the hell not?) but all in good time.

This book will be under editing, but I'll also post an epilogue (couldn't leave you without it) and plenty of other little surprises to come.😉

So for the last time...

Enjoy!!!

~~~

"Winter, what are you doing here?", he asked but didn't wait for an answer, "Did you run all the way here?"

I nodded, painfully aware of how awful I looked. I was not a runner, and never would be, I was covered in sweat -maybe a tear or two- and breathed like I needed an oxygen tank.

I put my hands on my ribcage, trying to catch my breath.

"But you hate running.", he commented, clearly shocked by my actions. I would be too if I were him. I think the last time I ran that much was when I was in third grade at the track, and that was against my better judgment.

"No... Shit... Sherlock.", I managed to let out with the stamina of a three-year-old.

He just smiled, watching me with amusement, while I was fighting to bring my pulse, back to normal.

"Cameron. I-I... Um... Wow, I have no idea what to say. Hell, I don't even know why I'm here. I'm...", I made a pause. I started losing my words and I needed to focus. 

See, I really wanted to do this, to talk to him, the problem was I had no idea what to say or to speak with better words, I had no idea where to start. There were so many things that needed to be told. So many things have gone untold for months and months.

So, I took a deep breath.

"Do you know why I only make serious conversations, in the car, and nowhere else?"

He gave me a look that meant he didn't. That he had no idea where I was going with this. I wasn't even sure myself to be honest, but I continued anyway, "It's because we don't make eye contact." -another expression filled with confusion- "Serious conversations, especially the ones involving feelings and emotions, are hard enough for me already. Not making eye contact just makes it..."

"Easier.", he finished.

"Yeah."

He looked at me like he truly understood, and then with quick movements, he got out of the house, closing the door behind him.

"Turn around."

As weird as that request was, I turned my back on him.

He touched his back on mine and took my hands.

That was perfect. For us. For me.

No eye contact, but I could still feel his presence.

"Cameron, I don't know, if I love you." I finally let out. I could feel him stiffening behind me, so I rushed to explain what I meant. "I don't know what love is, or how it's supposed to feel. What I do know is that you are the first person I want to see in the morning and the last person I want to see at night. You're the only person, that I'm not afraid to talk to about anything. You-You are...", I tighten my grip, feeling the need to have him closer. He exchanged the gesture. "You are my favorite person. The person I would do anything for. The one I care about most. The one that understands me the most. And I-", I said and took a pause. I spun to face him; staring right at those eyes.

I've stared at those eyes millions of times before.

I had started at them with hate right after he put salt on my cereal.

Or when he carried me from the bus stop to his car.

When he stupidly let everyone know we were dating and started the whole thing.

This was different. I looked at him, and I didn't see the person I grew up with.

I just saw Cameron.

"I find more of myself when with you than with any other."

I was freer with him than with any other.

"I don't know if that's love, but if it is, then I love you, Cameron Diaz.", I said no longer afraid of what could have come. Of what could happen. 

He didn't say anything for a long time; just kept staring at me. Expressionless.

"Please say something.", I muttered, feeling the tears ready to spill.

He still didn't say anything, but he cut the distance between us. He pulled me as close as possible and rested his forehead on mine.

Our lips inches away.

"And I love you, Winnie."

He kissed me.

And I knew.

That was love.

"I love you, Cameron."

THE END.

Or maybe not...