Chapter 27

.
.
.
.
.
.
.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

.
.

.
.

.
.

Murata was inside of an abandoned building inside of a village he stumbled upon. Every opening in the building was sealed off by wooden boards nailed into the walls to prevent anyone from coming in. Murata snuck in through the back as quietly as he could so he didn't attract any unwanted attention. It was in the middle of the day as Murata watched the pedestrians go about their lives, completely oblivious to his existence. Little did these civilians know that they were walking past a demon hiding in the shadows. Murata had not eaten for several days after departing from Sato and his group and has refused to kill anyone else since as he was traumatized by taking the life of a fellow demon slayer. Everything had been a rush for him these last couple days, he had been on the run ever since news broke out that a member of the Demon Slayer Corps had defected to the demons. Everyone was to be on high alert with a rogue demon slayer loose in the wild. Murata didn't want to fight anyone so he had just been hiding, alone, for all of this time. His stomach growled like a madman and he felt tired, forcing himself to stay awake as he feared he would get killed in his sleep.

Then again, what else is there to live for now? His family has completely rejected him, all of his former comrades have turned against him, and there's no way in hell he'd ever willingly give into his desires like the murderous psychopaths that roam the streets at night. He wasn't sure if he could take it any more. Every minute, he can feel himself getting closer to snapping, that craving to eat human flesh grew stronger by the minute and it wouldn't stop. Nothing would quench his hunger besides the meat he deprives himself of. All of the pain in his heart and body made him drop his head back in defeat as he sat against a box. He simply let the tears out, this was too much for anyone to handle. Honestly, he can get why every other demon resorts to killing humans because it's so difficult to live without food. He didn't want to live like this anymore, he just wanted it all to stop. He looked to his Nichirin Blade next to him and instinctively reached for it. He wanted this pain to end. He unsheathed the blade to see his reflection in the blade. He shut his eyes as he slowly pressed the blade against his throat. One slice, one cut and it'll all be over. That's how it is for demons, right? A simple decapitation and they're gone. Then they get to watch themselves be reduced to nothing and suddenly, they're gone from this Earth, just like that, as if they were never there to begin with. What did death feel like? Was it warm and comforting? Was it cold and harsh? There was only one way to find out.

Yet, he couldn't do it. His hands trembled as the fear of death began to overtake his curiosity of it. Everything he had done and has accomplished in his life would've been for nothing. He couldn't just end it here when he has so much he could still do. He can't give up, he's not out of this yet! He began to brainstorm once more, who has he not considered reaching out to yet? Tanjiro! He remembered overhearing that Tanjiro had a trial regarding him teaming up with a demon or something along those lines (he never heard the full story). The fact remains that Tanjiro was willing to work with a demon to some extent. If there's ANYONE that's left for him to reach out to, Tanjiro is the person to go to! However, it won't be easy. He has no access to Kasugai Crows and everyone's on the hunt for him. He needs to be able to find Tanjiro and isolate him, he doesn't need/want to talk to anyone else. He heard the intense flapping of a bird approaching the village. Murata stumbled to his feet as he raced to the wooden boards and looked through the cracks to see a Kasugai Crow swooping down and alerting the village, "ALERT! ALERT! A demon slayer has defected to the demons! Be on high alert, he is considered highly lethal and must be dealt with on the spot! ALERT! ALERT!"