Chapter 49

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

.
.

.
.
.

.
After marveling at the World Spear for a brief period of time, the Slayer took initiative as he began making his way down the steps towards a platform that hung over the water. Tanjiro quickly followed behind him, attempting to look through the thick fog that hindered their sight. Tanjiro had goosebumps covering his entire body as his hairs stood tall for reasons unknown. It was as if something terrifying was watching him from a distance yet it felt so close. The Slayer felt a similar way but he paid no attention to it as he looked around from the edge of the platform, discerning whether they're supposed to be swimming towards the World Spear or not.

They both heard whispers surrounding them as Tanjiro felt a cold chill travel through his body. He didn't know what it was but he was on high alert due to the sensations he was feeling. The whispers continued ringing in their ears, it was impossible to tell where it was coming from. They looked towards the ocean in front of them once they heard movement in the water and watched in awe as a long stone bridge emerged in front of them. The water spilled along the side of the bridge as the pavement was drenched from it's exposure to the water for so long.

Tanjiro and the Doom Slayer looked at each other, nodding in agreement as they stepped onto the bridge and began carefully traversing it. Even as they passed along the bridge, they still couldn't see the World Spear in front of them, it seemed like they would be walking for ages before they got to it. The scenery was surreal and somewhat horrifying for Tanjiro. The boy was able to see the silhouettes of large corpses in the distance. Whenever the boy looked up, he would see an Aurora hanging above stopped once they heard more movement in the water, causing them to look around frantically as they tried to identify the source of the movement. There, they could see something large moving underneath the bridge as a large tentacle rose from the water before submerging back inside. The Slayer cautioned, "Stay right behind me."

Tanjiro nodded, not taking the man's warning lightly as he asked, "What was that?"

"I don't know. Presumably the judge as only those who are deemed worthy can move to the World Spear."

"Wait a minute, have you ever been here before?"

"No, this is my first time."

"Ah." Tanjiro gulped, not wanting to make a sarcastic or snarky remark at that moment as he was even more uncertain than before if this was a first time for the Slayer. He just had to follow the warrior's lead and not fall behind.

They could soon hear a waterfall up ahead. They weren't sure what to expect as they continued down the stone bridge. It didn't take too long until they were at the edge of the waterfall where the stone bridge connected to another, more refined bridge. In-between the two structures were two jagged and opposing arches with a strange eye-shaped pattern covering them. As their eyes traced up the arches, they widened once they realized how much closer to the World Spear they were now as they were able to better define its features. They could hear the distant flaps and roars of other Sentinel Dragons hovering around the large chunk of ice. So this must've been where all the dragons retreated to once the war broke out.

Without delaying any further, the two allies made their way down the secondary bridge that connected to the World Spear. Tanjiro looked over the bridge briefly to see how steep the drop was and he was barely able to see the water down below. Tanjiro didn't normally fear heights but the drop made him feel uneasy so he did himself a favor and elected to keep his eyes straight ahead.