Chapter 48

.
.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

.
.

.
.

.
.

The Slayer punched the sewer lid into the air to allow himself access to the outside world. As the warrior climbed out, he reached inside to pull Tanjiro out alongside him. On the boy's waist hung three weapons: Xernex's argent axe, Yorichii's blade, and the Slayer's Super Shotgun which the warrior bestowed upon him during their venture through the sewers as a secondary source of protection. The warrior looked around to assess their surroundings before stating, "We're close to the torch. Let's go."

They were inside of an abandoned sentinel town that had been ravaged by the civil war just like all the rest. Moss covered the tall structures of the Sentinel town and the grass was unkempt. Tanjiro frowned upon seeing the state of the village, it was just a constant reminder of the Maykr's treachery. He would've loved to see Argent D'nur in it's prime before the civil war happened.

The Slayer whipped around once he heard something shuffle nearby as he cautioned, "We might have company." Tanjiro nodded, not questioning the Slayer's words as he drew Xernex's argent axe but didn't ignite it. The boy had to be extra cautious, he was in unknown territory in every sense of the word. He didn't know what he was about to fight nor did he know where he was. It was as if he was shrouded in darkness and the Doom Slayer was his guiding light. The Slayer walked forward, motioning for the boy behind him to follow closely. He couldn't risk Tanjiro getting hurt during battle and though he trusts Tanjiro, he doesn't trust him enough to be handling a group of demons by himself. The Slayer stopped once they approached a large wall blocking off a section of the town they were in. The Hellwalker nudged his elbow against Tanjiro to grab his attention to point towards the top of the wall, indicating where they were going to go next.

The World Spear by Andrew Hulshult

An unknown entity smashed through the walls of a nearby house and began angrily charging towards them. Tanjiro and Flynn turned their heads towards the approaching target which was a creature that neither of them had seen before. It was a tall, muscular creature donning metallic, blue armor which looked similar in appearance to a Baron of Hell minus the fact that the creature's right arm is replaced with a flail. The armored baron brought it's flail down upon the Doom Slayer in an attempt to pulverize him but the Slayer brought his fist upwards in an uppercut that blasted the creature's head off.

Without delay, the baron's head regenerated itself instantaneously, catching Tanjiro and the Doom Slayer off-guard as the demon smashed its flail into the Hellwalker with enough force to send him flying into the nearby houses. Tanjiro's eyes widened once he saw the Slayer get blown back but he couldn't waste a second worrying about his comrade due to the Armored Baron now shifting its attention towards Tanjiro and began swinging wildly. Tanjiro channeled his breathing and leapt back as far as he could away from the creature to gain some distance. The boy decided to pull out the Super Shotgun and point it towards the incoming Baron. However, as the boy fired the weapon in his hand, the shotgun blasted itself out of Tanjiro's grip due to the boy never having fired a gun in his life. Tanjiro panicked once he saw the Super Shotgun leave his sights and blew itself back several meters away.

By then, it was too late as the Armored Baron snatched the boy with its left arm and prepared to slam him into the ground. Tanjiro was quick to react as he activated Xernex's argent axe and hacked off the left arm of the armored baron to free himself. Upon doing this, Tanjiro fell to the floor, on his back, and quickly rolled backwards to gain some distance. The creature stood, confused, as it was trying to regenerate it's left arm but the creature's arm sizzled profusely as it was unable to regenerate. The boy gave the creature a perplexed look until he remembered what Xernex had told Muzan before. Tanjiro relayed to the Doom Slayer, "This demon has muzan's regeneration! You need an argent weapon to take it down!"