Chapter 39

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

.
.

.
.

.
.

Shinobu sat on her knees along with several other people in a fairly large room. She had entered the mansion for the Eternal Paradise Cult where people went to free themselves of their pain. The Insect Hashira's hairs were standing tall, she was maintaining her guard as she held her sword close to her as it was hidden by her older sister's Haori she donned at all times. She thought it was fitting that she was wearing it on this special occasion. To her, it would feel like her sister was getting revenge for her death.

She looked around the well-decorated room which contrasted with the people that sat next to her. Shinobu had to travel quite a distance to get to this mansion so she could see how it was easy for people to get lost or never come back. The people she was with wore dreary expressions on their faces. Some with baggy eyes, others with pale skin (not like a demon), and some people wore tattered clothes while others looked surprisingly healthy and rich. Some of the men in the room occasionally lifted their heads to look at Shinobu for a brief moment before lowering their heads in shame and neglecting her existence. She had seen several people that entered before her get summoned by the owner of the Cult but she never saw them come back. Best case scenario: they exited through a different path in the mansion. Worst case scenario: this was exactly what Shinobu feared it was and she needed to be ready for a fight.

The front door to the room slid open as one of the assistants bowed and informed the Hashira that their master was waiting for her. Shinobu didn't know why but her heart skipped a beat at that moment. She was ready but this caught her off guard. Why was she panicking? She quickly nodded, trying to brush aside her emotions as she sat up and followed behind the assistant. The man she followed slid open the door to his master's room and gestured for the Hashira to step inside. Shinobu took a deep breath, keeping her breathing under control just in-case. She thanked the man before stepping aside and adjusting to the dim and deceptively gentle lighting of the room she was in.

On the other side of the room sat a pale, pale-golden haired man with a red turtle-neck outfit and a large crown-like hat on his head. He sat on his comfortable couch in front of Shinobu, very relaxed as he sat with his legs crossed and his face resting on the palm of one of his hands. He raised his eyebrows in shock as he exclaimed, "Oh! Would you look at this, she's a cutie!"

Shinobu stopped in her tracks once she saw the man in front of her. He perfectly matched the description given to her by Kanae before her death. From the appearance to his way of speaking, this had to be the one! The demon could see the fury plastered on Shinobu's face as he called out, "Oh, you seem rather upset! Come, take a seat and tell me what's wrong. I'd love to hear what's ruining that cute little face of yours."

One of the veins in Shinobu's forehead popped out and pressed against her forehead due to the anger she was feeling. She had to resist lashing out at the man immediately as she spoke with a suppressed tone, "Wrong…? What's wrong…?! YOU TOOK MY SISTER FROM ME! DON'T YOU RECOGNIZE THIS HAORI?!" Shinobu grabbed the haori and extended it for the man to catch a better glimpse of it.

Doma blinked several times before a lightbulb turned on in his head as he sat up and pointed out, "Oh! You mean that one butterfly girl, right? I remember her, she was a sweet and delicate girl. I never got the chance to eat her, did I? Oooooh, that must've sucked for you, then, because you had to watch her die in your arms, right? My bad, I should've just finished her off to spare you both the pain. That is, after all, what I do."