Chapter two

Isabella
----
The sight of the three-story building brought butterflies to my stomach. The ivy vines that once started out as small plants have now climbed along the walls. I remember loving school as a child, and loving it up until I knew about werewolves. School was one of the places where I could be myself and have fun, even if I had a bunch of homework. Nobody thought I had to be perfect at school, no one knew my story. They treated me normally, like a human.

Like I deserved a life.

And maybe it's still like that. Maybe it will be my getaway. Without Jason in my way, maybe school will just be slightly better than it was before. Now I know about my Pack, about my friends. I just have to deal with the homework.

And the humans.

I can already tell that they are going to be a problem. Having Jon open the fancy car door for me and shut it afterwards catches the eyes of the jocks on the field and the girls hanging around their boyfriends cars. I recognize some of them, Jason's old friends or teammates, but none seem to recognize me.

The first hint is the whispers I hear, coming from the boys on the field. I pretend I'm not listening as I fix the strap on my bag. Darcey meets me at the front of the car, staring at the Pack teens as they slowly enter the school. I lean back on the car, watching them closely to make sure they get in okay.

"Who's the new chick with Dean?" One of the jocks asks as his friend takes a swig of water. Behind them, the cheerleading squad creates a pyramid.

Dean steps beside me protectively, knowing Tate won't approve of other men looking at me.

"No idea, but she's hot" his friend says, staring at me with no embarrassment.

As the last teen enters the school, I finally look at the boys full on. I immediately regret it, as I promised Tate I wouldn't. But it's not like I'm checking them out.

The taller one, with blonde hair and brown eyes sucks in a breath as my silver eyes meet his. He smiles at me, and I look to his friend. His reaction is the same, a small intake of breath and a smile. Their eyes sparkle.

One of the cheerleaders stalks over to the blonde boy and taps him on the shoulder with a flirtatious grin. I almost choke on air when he doesn't respond. She scowls and moves in front of him, but he pushes her out of the way. She finally glances at me, her scowl turning into a look of awe, then of jealousy. She hits the guys chest, but he still doesn't look at her.

"Come on, Bella" Darcey says hurriedly. "Remember what Tate said"

Was she reminding me about not looking about other men or was she reminding me not to attract attention to myself? Either way I had probably forgotten. By now, the two boys would be spreading the word about the 'hot new girl' with breathtaking eyes. By the time lunch roles around, I'll be the center of attention and no doubt will have everyone staring at me in jealousy or in affection.

I let my best friend pull me into the school with Dean and the rest hot on our trail.

All eyes fall on our group. The handsome men behind Darcey and I attract most attention, but it's quickly averted when I come into view.

The girl with the silver eyes.

I see the look on their faces. The questionable thoughts are clear with most of them.

How are her eyes silver?

Whispering starts up again, falling down the hallway, which gets silent as we pass. I hang my head down, averting eye contact with anyone. I haven't been here for ten minutes and I'm already being stared at.