Chapter fifteen

Isabella
----
My wolf growled at me for not letting her out to kill them. No shifting, no Light Magic, I remind her. But he didn't say anything about Dark Magic.

Ace is on the ground, gasping for the air that he isn't getting. I pull the Dark Magic back, giving him leeway for air. He takes it in with large gulps. He grabs his neck, rubbing the spot that the darkness once held. It now slips around me in a warm hug.

I look up to Xavier. He nods to something behind me. I close my eyes for a brief second, using my heightened senses to pick up on the guard behind me. His arms wrap around my chest. I lean back and forcefully pull forward, swinging him over me and on the ground. Of course, the darkness helps me with the strength. He falls with a grunt, growling.

By then, Ace is up and staring at me in shock. Then he composes himself, looks to Xavier, and comes at me again. The darkness streams across the ground, sneaking in behind Ace. A look of confusion crosses his eyes when he gets closer and realizes; I'm not moving.

The darkness wraps around his ankles. I flick my finger out, causing the darkness to pull back. I laugh when I watch Ace fall face first to the ground next to the guard.

It's at that point that I realize why Xavier made me fight Ace, the boy that he said was to be my personal guard for the time being, not my personal training dummy. This was the way to expose my Dark Magic.

Pathetic excuse of a wolf. Maybe you father was right, you are pathetic.

That was to make me mad. That's what exposes my Dark Magic. Anger.

I look down at a cringing Ace. He sits up, rubbing his forehead. I dismiss my magic and watch it linger in the depths of the forest, waiting for me to call out to it.

I use my foot to push Ace gently down on the grass, then I stand over top of him, keeping my foot on his chest. He looks up at me with wide, beautiful eyes.

"Whose pathetic now?" I whisper. Then I smile, a real smile. These guys are smart to do this. Sure it hurt at first, but I'm one of the strongest wolves out there. I think I can handle a little bit of pain.

"I guess that would be me" he sets his head in the ground and closes his eyes, taking a breath. I take my foot off of him and help him up.

"Well done, Isabella" Xavier gives a warm, fatherly smile to me. It makes me feel calmer to see it. Sometimes a fatherly gesture is enough to make you content, happy. Then the smile turns into a look of curiosity. "Have you ever....drank blood before?"

I'm taken back slightly. "Drank blood? Like a vampire?"

"Well, yes and no. Vampires have been extinct for years now" he murmurs. "But anyways, have you?"

"Not that I'm aware of. I've never really had the instinct to drink blood" but now that I think of it, Ace's blood was fruity. It tasted good. And when I look back up at Ace, I realize that I do have a craving for it.

"That explains it. You see, blood makes you stronger. The higher ranked the wolf, the stronger you'll get. I bet Tate didn't tell you that either" I shake my head, no. "By tomorrow, all you'll want is blood"

"So what? I'm part vampire?" I let out a small laugh. But Xavier's face shows that there's no joking around here. My smile fades. "What?"

"Isabella, this might be a lot to take in I was waiting for everything to kind of ease up on you before this but then you decided to drink Ace's blood"

"It was only a little bit!" I yell.

And it tasted like heaven. My wolf reminds me.

"A little goes a long way." He lets out a sigh. "Isabella, both Silver Wolves are descendants from wolves and vampires"