Chapter eleven

Isabella
----
The wind causes my jacket to flap irritatingly as I descend to the ground. The air surrounds me like a hug and my leaping ability helps my fall. I fall at a rapid speed, watching the green grass become closer and closer. I didn't think about the height before I jumped, I just did it. Without much effort, I land on my feet in a crouch. My hair falls over my face, and when I look up at Ace, I smile.

"Not bad, for a newbie" he smirks. My heart flutters in my chest at the sight. "But can you do this?"

He runs towards the wall of the house at an alarming speed. I almost scream out when he's about to run into it, but instead, his body seems to be granted an anti-gravity power. His feet latch onto the wall like suction cups. He runs up to the third floor, then jumps as far as he can. I watch him soar through the sky like a bird, then latch onto a tree branch. He swings around it like a gymnast and perches on the branch, surrounded by darkness.

"I'm impressed" I say with a light laugh. "How'd you do that?"

"Xavier will explain when we get back" he jumps out of the tree, scanning the area quickly. Then he looks at his watch. "We've got to go. Come on"

I jog to stand next to him. He's tall, the same height as Tate and I don't doubt for a second that underneath his clothes that there's a six pack.

He looks both ways. "You know any short cuts?"

"I was hoping you'd ask" I smile. This is why I memorized the area. I knew the information would come in handy.

I grip his wrist lightly and run full speed, straight through the village. Ace lets out a laugh as he tries to keep up, but with my super speed, I'm practically dragging him. I slip down the alley ways, finding the quickest route to the border. Most lights are off, everyone in bed by now. The only people still up are the guards at the edge of the forest. They line up, a few feet away from each other. They all look on high alert.

What is Tate doing?

I stop abruptly, pulling Ace with me to the side of a building. The guards go for as long as I can see, circling around the far corner of the village. I huff, letting go of Ace's wrist and peering around the corner. They all stand straight and intimidatingly. Why would Tate put guards out here at night?

"Take a few guards down" Ace whispers. "Make it quiet" I nod my head, listening to his command. I grip my dagger and make myself invisible. I smooth my thumb over the blade as I swiftly walk over behind the closest guard. I stare at Ace, who is looking around with a smile. I place my hand to the guards mouth. He yells something, but it's muffled. I whisper a small, sorry, before sucking the air out of his lungs. He falls to the ground, completely unconscious. The guards near him approach cautiously, leaving gaps in the line.

I race back to Ace and grab his hand. It's smooth and rough at the same time. His large hand encloses around mine and he instantly becomes invisible. I start sprinting again, dragging him along. We stay silent as we run past the guards, who crowed around the guard. I watch their eyes fog over quickly.

Fog over?

I don't have time to think about it. I'll ask Ace later. I run as fast as my feet will take me. In no time, we are out of the territory. I slow down to a jog, then a walk. I put the dagger back into my pocket, and we both become visible.

"Damn" he laughs as we walk further away from the territory. "They'll be on us in no time" I stay silent, admiring the nature that I haven't seen in days. It's dark out still, but my eyes adjust quickly.

We walk in silence for a while, and eventually it becomes awkward. I peek at him through the corner of my eye, only to notice that he does the same. I blush and look away the same time that he chuckles. He shoves his hands in his pockets and kicks up a pile of leaves. Behind us, I can hear the faint sound of yelling, frantic and nervous. They have noticed I'm missing.