Chapter thirteen

Isabella
----
Even after I got my memories back, I was confused. I remember everything, including the day that they drugged me and accidentally made me lose my memory.

"I...I don't understand" I whisper, looking at Xavier. "How could Tate be the wrong mate?"

I remember yelling at Darcey. "If he was really my mate you wouldn't have to help me!" I yelled. "If he was my mate he wouldn't even try to hit me! I wouldn't need your help! Don't you see? I've chosen the wrong mate"

"You remember Tate's outrage if I'm correct" he starts. I nod my head. "Your mate wouldn't do that, let alone slap you. Dylan would have never done that to you. You've chosen the wrong mate"

"This," I whispered. "This isn't love. It's not the fairytale I thought it was. It's lies. Lies built on lies in order to keep me where he wants me, to keep me oblivious. I don't want to have to listen to his commands. I don't want to see him angry. I don't want to be abused like I was with my father and Jason"

But Dylan wouldn't slap me.

I look up to Xavier with tears in my eyes. Even after Darcey promised me, no more secrets. She continued to keep them from me. They all did. Why any of Dylan's Pack would think that Tate is the one is beyond me.

"But Dylan's Pack-"

"Was threatened by Tate himself" Xavier says sadly. "I'm sorry to be the one to inform you, Isabella. But it's for the best"

Tate wouldn't threaten them. They all had Dylan as an Alpha. If they were threatened, they sure as hell would have told the Alpha. And they seemed to enjoy being a part of the Pack. This doesn't make sense.

"Why should I trust you?" I ask with a frown. "How do I know your not lying?"

"Right now, there's no one else you can trust" Xavier says simply.

"Your going to be confused for a little bit. It's understandable. But soon enough you'll understand, and you'll let go of your past" Ace whispers calmly. "We are your family now, if you'll let us be"

I cross my legs and set my head in my hands. The floor beneath me is hard and cold. Just a moment ago I was writhing in pain on this floor.

"So it was all just more lies" I whisper.

Xavier bends down beside me and drapes and arm over my shoulders. The strange thing is, I let him. It's such a fatherly gesture, and I haven't felt something like that since I was a very young child. It's almost soothing enough to calm me down.

"We can help. I'll help you control your abilities more. Then when Ian comes, you'll train together" he murmurs.

"What about the powers I have yet to gain? Don't I have to complete the mating bond?" I ask. Tate's already marked me, that means Dylan can't mate with me. I don't understand how I could be so delusional as to think that Tate could be the right mate.

"I've been working on that and I think I have a way to get you those powers, along with a few extra powers" he says with a bright smile. His smile almost makes me want to smile. "But I'm still working on it, so until then, your current powers will have to suffice"

He stands up, pulling me with him.

"Tomorrow, Ace and I will accompany you in the training arena. We'll get started with your Dark magic, hopefully it will cooperate and we can teach you how to use it. Then we'll work on your regular abilities" Xavier says. Ace nods and stands from the chair.

"Wait" I whisper. "What about Tate?"

"What about him?" Ace asks.

"What if he's looking for me? What if he finds us?" The idea of putting people at risk because of me has my stomach flipping again.