Chapter seventeen

Isabella
----
Rule number one: Don't trust anyone. By one look at me, all wolves will know who I am. Father says they will stop at nothing to get me. He says they want my power.

Rule number two: Listen to what he says, follow his rules. Father knows what's best for me, and I'm still young. When I get to the point that I can use my abilities to their full power and can control it, then he'll let me off. He'll keep me safe.

Rule number three: No killing the guards. You want someone to kill? Get Ace to take you into town. There's plenty of humans there. The guards are to keep me safe.

My wolf growled when he told me rule number two. We won't follow your rules, she growled, he should listen to us. I, on the other hand, was fine with them. There's only a few rules, and though if anyone else were to tell me what to do, I'd kill them in a heart beat. Father saved me, now he wants to protect me. I haven't felt this secure in quite a while. I think following what he says is the best option.

I haven't eaten for two days. The boy from two nights ago was enough to keep me going for at least four, that's what father says.

Training has become my favorite hobby, after hanging out with Ace. The pain no longer bothers me, in fact, it feels good, as odd as that sounds. It must be because of the darkness. The pain makes me happy, makes me feel stronger.

And so when Ace lands another punch to my nose, I don't whimper in pain like I had before, I smile in determination. I swing my fist at him, aiming for his mouth. He ducks the punch, running at my torso. I easily side step him, and he falls face first into the ground. I straddle him, bending so my mouth is right next to his ear.

"Rule number one: never run at your opponent" I whisper with a giggle. He groans and I roll him over, still on top of him. "Now, should I punch you in the nose, the eye, or the mouth..." I put my hand to my chin as I think. The nose would break, the lip would swell, the eye would blacken.

"How about none" while I'm distracted, he grabs my waist and pushes forcefully. I'm not allowed to use my powers, so I'm thrown back to the other side of the field, landing in my ass.

"Damn wolf strength" I mutter, standing up. Ace is a mere speck on the other side of the field, but with my vampire eyesight, I can see as close as his face. He's smirking, his arms crossed over his chest.

"Rule number two! Never get distracted!" He yells. Father chuckles at our playfulness. It's only around them when I'm like this. Around anyone else, I become dark and scary. I don't want to show anyone my weaknesses unless it's father or Ace. I trust them and only them.

I pull my knife out of my back pocket, blowing on it. Ace showed me this. I can use it for invisibility by using my element to make it work. The blade glows silver, my name illuminated. I turn invisible immediately. I put it in my back pocket and use my super speed to get behind Ace. He stands, looking across the field.

"Where'd she go?" He asks.

I press the blade gently to his neck and become visible again. He goes rigid and father laughs.

"Rule number three: Don't get cocky" I dig it deep enough to draw blood, but shallow enough that Ace won't feel any pain. I swipe the blood from his neck and put it on my tongue, then moan in delight. His blood tastes so much better than the scrawny boy from two days ago. My fangs slide out slightly, and I use much force to push them back. I'm still working on that part.

I take the blade away and lick the blood from it too. Then I use my healing ability to heal the small cut on his neck. He smiles down at me, then looks away. Father can't know about us.