Chapter thirty-five

My heart was beating fast in my chest. I kept stealing glances at Xavier and Ace to see if they had noticed how nervous I was. Neither one did, but I sensed that something was wrong.

It's cold outside, almost as cold as this morning. I pulled on black tights and a long sleeved, dark purple shirt. I braided my hair to the side and left without makeup.

Now, as we quietly walk to the edge of the forest, I wish I had of left my hair down. I'm so stressed out that I keep grabbing my hair, trying to play with the strands.

Xavier has dark circles under his eyes, making him look super tired. His stride is slow, his fingers twitchy. I couldn't help but think of the serum he took that Lana changed. What had she done to him? He hasn't even gone into his office yet, hasn't seen the destruction we did.

Ace was walking close to me. Almost too close. He doesn't know about me and Tate being back together, and technically, me and him are still a thing, but I don't have the heart to tell him. I don't want to pin him as a bad guy. The way he talked about what Xavier had in mind when he took us sounded like he had no idea what Xavier was actually planning. Maybe Xavier never really told his son. Which seems preposterous. Ace will be the future Alpha of Rogues; why wouldn't Xavier add him in?

I shake my head as we enter the forest. It's gloomy out today. The dark clouds hang overhead, threatening to rain. Thanks to Ian, he'll make sure it doesn't.

I use my hands as lights, letting Tate know-if he's out here yet- that we're on our way.  Xavier grunts as he steps over a fallen tree. I eye him wearily, the way he staggers when he walks, his dilated pupils, clammy hands.

"Father, are you alright?" I ask gently.  He looks to me with raised eyebrows.

"What? Oh yes I'm fine. Just getting a little old" he lets out a dry laugh, patting Ace on the back.

Old age my ass.  God Lana what the hell did you give him?

Half an hour later, we stop only a few feet away from the border. I swivel my hands around the area, looking for Tate. So far, I don't see him.

My pulse picks up a beat.

"What time did the plan say he'd be here?" Ace asks, shoving his hands in his pockets.  He looks totally unprepared for what's about to happen.

"Right about now" Xavier says, looking at his watch. We stare towards the border, waiting. Then I feel his presence behind us and smile to myself.

I turn around to see Tate in his wolf form, his dark blue fur light and fluffy. Fake blood drips from his snout to make him look more intimidating. He looks Rogue. Xavier stands next to me, his arms crossed over his chest. He scoffs, then looks at Tate with a smirk and laughs.

"She's already gone" Xavier says, his voice thick with victory. Tate growls. "She's decided which way to go already, she's left you"

Tate pounces towards the Xavier, lips pulled back in a snarl. Xavier is unwavering, watching as Ace's brown wolf jumps on Tate and takes him down. They roll on the ground until Tate stops moving.

It's all part of the plan.

Ace looks to Xavier, his wolf standing tall. Then his eyes sparkle when he looks to me.

Streaks of my hair turn silver and my eyes start to glow in the gloomy weather. Lightning crackles on my fingertips in anger. He touched my mate, and though I know Tate's alright, I want to beat Ace.

My emotion doesn't change when I see Tate, unmoving on the ground. I stay neutral, staring at my mate. Xavier wraps an arm around my shoulders with a proud smile.