Chapter seven

Isabella
----
Ten minutes after I found out the power of my dagger, I sprinted at full speed around the entire village, making a mental map including every alley, shortcut, road and store. It may come in handy for Ace or for me. I'm not sure how much he knows about this place.

It took merely five minutes for that to happen, thanks to my super speed.

I stopped outside of the large building I had jumped out of. I stare up at it, the white balconies leaning over, the hundreds of windows, and beside it, a field full of vehicles just waiting to be used. On the other side of the house is a garage where I assume a few of the nicer cars sit.

I hold my knife in my hand. It seems to fit perfectly, resting easily and comfortably in my palm. I run my thumb over my engraved name. I wonder if it's just for invisibility, or if it can give something else too.

Men and women of all ages enter and exit the large building, some with looks of determination and others with looks of worry. I want to know what's going on in there.

I shove the dagger in my back pocket and lead myself into the house. It's busy, full with people. Most of them are sitting on the couches in the living room, watching TV or talking. Men walk through the halls, shouting orders to others. By the looks on their faces, something's not right.

The smell coming from the kitchen floats towards me. It smells amazing, and my stomach growls. I guess I haven't eaten in a while. I sneak past a group of men talking in low whispers and into the kitchen. It's huge, larger than the room I woke in. There's at least five different kitchens, all with ovens, microwaves, stove tops, tools and food. The women who are cooking look worried, moving quickly and quietly. On the center table is a basket of fruit.

I reach over and grab an apple, dodging an older women carrying a hot pot. The apple turns invisible with me. I smile and take a bite before walking out.

"Jeff, take Terry and Sam to the West border and meet up with Ken" someone yells. I remember the voice from earlier, the blonde haired man.

He stands in the doorway with a clipboard, and yells some more. The men nod as they hear their names, leaving quickly out the door.

"And Dean, come with me" a brown haired boy steps up and follows the blonde down the hall. I trail after, memorizing the path they take. The building is huge, and I'm sure we haven't covered at least a quarter by the time we are at the destination.

The blonde knocks on the door and a husky voice calls back.

"Come in"

The blonde opens the door and slips in, then Dean does the same. Before they shut the door I zip past, standing in the corner and looking around.

I'm in an office. There's bookshelves lining the walls, a couch to my left and a desk in front of me. On the couch are four men. Behind the desk is a large window showing forest. A man sits at the desk, shuffling through papers. He looks like he has a few years on me, but not many. His brown hair isn't brushed, and he keeps running his hands through it. His emerald green eyes catch mine, and for a second I think I'm visible. But they sweep over me and onto the boys.

"Take a seat" he mumbles. The boys sit across from him comfortably.

The air in the room is thick and desperate. I can practically feel the nerves and worry from the men. Using my air element, I shift the air from warm and thick to cool and light. The men notice, looking around.

"Did you feel that?" One of them asks. He's a red head, but has no freckles.

"How did that happen?" Another asks.