Chapter twenty-eight

Isabella
----
I slam my door shut fiercely, glaring at the wood before turning towards my room.

I look down at the dark blue teddy bear in my hands. The purple sweater has worn out slightly; pieces of the knitted fabric coming apart in various spots. The poor bears left ear has turned into a small nub, while the other remains perfectly in tact. Although he is in rough shape, the fluffiness of him remains the same, as does the smell of strawberry shampoo.

Violet gave her Bubba to me before I had left. I didn't want to take it and even tried to force the bear back into her small hands. She protested prefoundly, her bottom lip sticking out in a pout. I couldn't resist it. She wanted me to have it, insisted on it. I knew Tate was standing on the other side of the door and would be damned if I showed weakness, but rejecting my little Vy wasn't something I was ready to do.

So I took the damn bear, kissed her forehead, hugged her tightly, and left. I pushed past Tate on my way out, making a point of glaring up into his emerald eyes. I descended the stairs quickly and swiftly. The group was lingering at the bottom and I past without so much as a glance towards Teresa, who, by the looks of it, wanted so badly to ask a question. That question being- where did she take Ian?

I didn't answer. Father followed behind me quietly. I got into the car, setting the bear on my lap and staring out the window. Tate didn't come running towards the car as father drove away. Instead, he lingered in the doorway with Darcey.

As I stare at her Bubba now, I feel angered. Having Bubba with me will only remind me of my past.

"Isabella." I hear the staticky voice come through the speaker on my wall. I look up, still glaring. "Isabella" Ace's voice repeats again. I let out a breath, placing Bubba on my bed, right in front of the black pillows.  Through my balcony, the moon shines into my room, creating an wary glow, seeing as I'm in the dark.

I reach for the button and press it, replying quickly.

"Yes?"

"We need you to tell us where Ian is" he says. He sounds nervous and excited all at once, like a child. I smile to myself, looking back at Bubba. Like Violet.

"Right, of course. I'll be right down" I answer, backing away from the speaker. Ace doesn't respond to my answer.

I pick up Bubba again, staring into his black eyes. His small, pink mouth is turned upwards in a smile, despite our predicament. Why can't I be like her Bubba? Carefree, happy, loved.

Look at you, my wolf whispers, comparing yourself to a teddy bear.

I huff. Your right, I answer. I am fine just the way I am. I am happy, I am loved. I'm beautiful and deadly and powerful.

With that thought in mind, I set Bubba back down. He flops onto his side, facing the end of the bed. He looks awkward in the room. The only colorful thing in here, and yet, he looks so natural. I get a glimpse of Violet as I stare at him; alone, scared, sad. Angered at Tate, hopeful that I will come back.

It's alright Violet, I think to myself. I feel the exact same way.
****
My eyes blaze to life, shining brightly against the dark night. They fall upon a body, covered in dirt, leaning against the tree. His brown hair is dull and greasy.  Father kneels next to him, checking for a pulse.

"Alive?" Ace asks. Xavier nods his head, a look of relief covering his old face.

"Would you like me to take him to his room, father?" I take a step forward, out of Ace's reach. I see him lift his arm towards me out of the corner of my eye, brushing my arm. On contact, I pull back into my place beside him.