03 homeless

♦ ♦ ♦

♦ ♦ ♦

I didn't sleep last night, I couldn't. Everything came crumbling down on me, thinking through the situation with Lily. I let her slip through my fingers and now I regret not trying harder, trying to understand her rather than scaring her off.

The rest of the night went by slowly and I was distracted, Fran kept asking what was wrong but I never told her. I didn't tell anyone and I plan on keeping it that way until I have Lily's trust, to bring her back to the pack and show her that I can give her a good life.

It's for your own good, you'll just end up regretting this, regretting ever meeting me.

Those words have everything inside me clenching because she thinks nothing of herself, nothing of her ability to settle down with her mate. She's not even given me a chance and she's already made up her mind.

But now I'm more determined than ever. I've waited years for this moment and I'd be a stupid man to let it slide, to give into her words.

She might be a troubled young girl but if she needs help, support or anything, then I should be the one there for her. Mates are meant to care, they're meant to be there until the end, no matter what happens.

The Moon Goddess made her for me and I am made for her.

There is nothing more to it. I have to do something before I can never find her again.

I ponder my next moves whilst I'm getting ready, if she wasn't invited to the committee meeting then she must live somewhere near that house. There is no reason for her to travel miles for something like that, the first option is to search the local area.

The markets, the shops, anywhere that she could target.

If that's her livelihood then she must be there somewhere.

I tell Fran and Milo that I'm stepping out of the house for a little while and I'll be back later. They don't question where I am going, which I am grateful for because I don't want to explain anything, I just want to go with my gut and see if it pays off.

When I'm done getting ready I head back towards the location we were in last night and I follow the signposts for the local market. I didn't expect the town centre to be so busy on a Sunday but I guess people still have to earn a living.

I weave in and out of people, glancing over stalls and keeping my senses heightened to catch a smell of her scent. The one that I have memorised and kept close to my heart, it's one that I never want to forget.

My head pokes down long alleys and I glance up at the citizens in windows shouting at the people below, selling meat and fabrics, nuts and fruit. Even though the area might have rich attributes, every location has poor parts.

If she's here then I know that she is not in a good position.

Women call out for their fruit, selling four apples for a pound. Then men shout louder, selling legs of lambs and ribs of cows. My eyes can't keep up between the sellers, the visitors and customers.