17 threat

♦ ♦ ♦

Cleo and Kassian stayed for an hour or two after Reign came back downstairs fresh out of the shower, her hair was semi-damp over her shoulder and cheeks rosy from the heat. When she re-entered my office wearing her new clothes from her shopping trip with Fran, I didn't think I could adore her anymore than I already did.

She had a cream chunky knit cardigan wrapped around her body, the sleeves just over the palms of her hands with a blue t-shirt underneath and figure hugging leggings. The most basic outfit but boy did I want to scoop her up in my arms and drag her to the sofa so we could cuddle.

I have no idea when I became so damn soppy but looking at Reign like this sets me off.

She remains quiet unless asked a question, I wasn't expecting her to be leading the conversation by any means. It's obvious that this sort of situation is out of her comfort zone and she prefers to talk when it's just me and her, which I understand.

A part of me loves that she comes out of her shell when she's just with me but I want her to be comfortable in all environments, not just in the safe space of my company. But I know time will come where she can blossom and everyone can see her for who she truly is.

When Kassian and Cleo leave, Cleo gives Reign a hug to say goodbye. She stands slightly flustered when I show them out and when I return to my office a few moments later, her arms are in front of her twisting between the sleeves of her cardigan.

"You okay?" I ask as I shut the door and walk towards her.

Reign nods her head but doesn't say anything.

I frown and stop directly in front of her. "It's okay if you're not, you can tell me."

"No, I am," she says quietly. "Just getting used to new people makes me feel a bit anxious."

Before I can think about what I'm doing, I wrap my arms around her shoulders and pull her body into my chest slowly. I half expect her to push me away but she doesn't, she sinks her head into my shirt and inhales deeply.

The bond glows brighter than ever before, both of our hearts thumping in unison. I place my chin on top of her head and wrap my arms around her shoulders, holding her tightly. One hand clutching the back of her head, she runs her hands around my back and grips at the fabric on my shirt.

"You look so cute today," I comment, which has Reign laughing so much that it vibrates my chest.

"How?"

I pull back slowly so I can look down to her. "What do you mean how?"

"I don't look cute at all," she loosens her arms on me and twists her expression into one of confusion.

"Well I think you do," I say quietly. "That cardigan and those leggings. The pink tint on your cheeks. It's too much for me."

Reign narrows her eyes and then steps backwards. "Too much... should I leave?"