21 snippet of truth

♦ ♦ ♦

I stir from my sleep with a smile on my face. Hmmm... I wonder why that is. Oh yeah, Everett's mouth on my core until I came all over his face. That's why.

My eyes flick open and Everett's warm hands brush my hair from my face, he's already awake which is a rarity but clearly I needed that sleep.

"Good morning, angel," he whispers, kissing my forehead. "How did you sleep?

I stare back at his gorgeous face, those warm blue eyes that make me feel secure. Even in his arms, I know I'm safe and I matter. At least a little bit. But if I think about it for too long, I'll convince myself otherwise so I cut my train of thought short.

"Morning," I continue to smile. "Good. Really good. You?"

Everett hums and nuzzles his head further into the pillow beside my head. "Me too. I had some wild dreams."

His voice is coated in honey and I find my eyes fluttering shut, my wolf shivering to the core. I open my mouth before thinking about what I'm going to say. "What kind of dreams?"

Suddenly I am breathing heavier and Everett's heart thumps harder. "Sweet, sweet dreams of you, angel."

My eyes open and I find him staring back at me. "Were they better than the real thing?"

Fuck, what am I even saying? Stop talking.

Everett's eyes light up in amusement as he stares down at the flush of heat that covers my cheeks. "There is no competition," his voice is gravelly as he tilts up my chin slowly. "The real thing wins every single time."

The smile on my lips doesn't falter, not when he's whispering away any insecurities I own.

"Well that's a relief," I say and tuck half my face behind the duvet.

"Don't do that."

"What?"

"Hide," he tugs my chin out from the soft comforter and nudges his forehead into mine. "I don't want you to hide from me. Ever."

I swallow slowly. "I guess I'm just a little bit flustered."

Everett's mouth bursts into a breathtaking grin. "I can see that. But it's nothing to be embarrassed about. Last night was a fucking dream to me. To have you like that, to have you break down that wall with me. I'd do it every night if you wanted me to."

I am burning. Everything has set on fire and I'm nothing but a dusty corpse.

"It was a one off," I blurt.

He flexes his brow even though he can see right through me. "A one off?"

"Yeah," I rasp. "For now."

"Hmmmm," he kisses the corner of my mouth. "We'll see about that."