04 progress

♦ ♦ ♦

♦ ♦ ♦

I bring Lily back to the pack house without her protesting or changing her mind halfway, she's mostly silent except when I ask the odd question. But when she doesn't give me much back, I presume that maybe she likes the quiet.

We gathered her things into a bag, the things that were worth keeping. Her damp sleeping bag and dirty clothes were left even though she wanted to bring them, I promised her that we would get her new clothes and she would have a perfectly working bed. Covers and duvet included.

When we are thirty minutes from the house I mindlink Milo to take everyone out for training, that way it gives me some time to show Lily around and help her get settled in without any input from anyone else.

Milo says that they're on their way out to train when we walk down the path to my home. I study Lily's eyes as we walk up to the white beautiful crafted house, the garden was treated only a few days ago. Hedges trimmed and new flowers planted, the house is lit up by hundreds of different colours and shades.

The sun shines down on the house as we approach the gate and are met by security, we're shown inside and Lily still hasn't said a peep but her eyes say everything. She takes in every little detail, looking at everything in her path.

Her lips fall open and she clutches her bag tighter, I can tell that she's overwhelmed. Especially because the house is huge and she's been sleeping on the curb in an alley for three years, adjustment isn't going to happen right now or even overnight. It's going to take a while.

The guard shut the door behind us and Lily whips her head to the sound, her eyes are struck open and she turns to me suddenly. "You said I can leave." Her voice is hesitant.

"You can," I nod. "It's just for precaution, if you wish to leave then the guards will let you. You want to come back in, they'll open the gates. If there is any trouble you can always mindlink me."

Her chest relaxes for a moment. "Okay."

I show her inside and she twists her head in every direction, eyes fixating on every tiny thing. She walks slowly and I let her take her time. If this is going to be her new home then she needs to feel comfortable here.

Lily's expressions don't change but I can see a small glimmer of amazement in her eyes. She's trying to mask it well but I can see it, even if she attempts to blink it away.

"Let's go upstairs," I motion to the hall. "I can show you where you'll sleep."

She doesn't respond but she follows, her footsteps can barely be heard behind as we walk up the stairs. I turn down the hall, away from my bedroom and I locate a spare room that we recently got back after a member of Cleo and Fran's old pack found a long lost family member.

I stop outside the door and gently push it open. All our rooms are plain, ready for decoration by whoever lives in it. That has always been a rule in my pack, express yourself how you want, do whatever makes you happy.