46 support system

♦ ♦ ♦

When I bring Reign back to the house, her eyes are glazed over with an emotion that I cannot read. Even the bond between us has gone still but I don't comment on it, I don't do anything but guide her into our bedroom and run her a bath.

She's covered in sweat, dirt and blood that is not hers.

Once the bath water is at a steady temperature I take her clothes off one by one, she doesn't protest or push me away so I know that it's okay. Still giving her time to come to terms with what happened.

I didn't want her to have to do it but if she wanted to, I couldn't take that away from her. He did unspeakable things to her, for years. If she wants the power of taking away his life, then I cannot deny her of that, even if I don't agree with it.

She's our Luna. She can do whatever she wishes as my equal.

I'd be an awful hypocrite if I told her she couldn't do it. It wasn't my call to make.

I scoop Reign's naked body up between my arms and I lower her into the tub, grabbing a soft flannel and dipping it in the water so I can begin to clean her skin. Her eyes remain forward, staring at nothing but the wall.

My lips twitch downwards into a frown but I say nothing more.

She's digesting this moment, I don't want to make things worse. The best thing I can do right now is be there for her, support her decisions and be the mate that she deserves.

I slowly tilt her head back and wash through her beautiful golden hair, using my fingers gently to massage her scalp and lather the dirty ends in floral smelling shampoo.

Once her body is free of dirt and blood, I inspect her hands. I definitely heard a bone or two crack inside Hector's dead body but they show no signs of bruising or small cuts, she hit with power and precision.

I will never hear her tell me she's incapable of doing anything again.

Brave. Strong. Determined.

She's everything she told herself she was not. This proves it.

I pull her from the bath and wrap her in a fluffy towel, carrying her back to the room. When I perch her down on the bed and lean for her dressing gown, her eyes are still focused at the wall. Almost nothing behind them.

That light that used to be there. Gone.

My stomach flips at the sight as I swap her towel for her dressing gown, wrapping her up tight so that she's comfortable and warm. Reign's breathing is shallow, almost like she's not breathing at all.

"Reign," I whisper.

She doesn't blink, she doesn't flinch at my voice.

I cup the side of her head gently and run my index finger down the curve of her cheek, just to let her know that she's not alone. I have no idea where she's at inside her head but the last thing I want is for her to feel lonely after what just happened.