30 surprise guest

♦ ♦ ♦

There is a knock at my office door but before I get a chance to say anything, it's opened. I huff out a breath and watch as Milo emerges. "What happened to waiting?"

Milo shrugs. "I knocked, didn't I?"

My eyes roll in his direction. "What's up? I'm kind of busy."

"Just wanted to let you know that I got a hold of Nate."

I drop my pen to the desk and lean back in my chair. "Who?"

"My mate."

"Oh shit, really?"

Milo edges closer and perches on the arm of one of my chairs. "Yeah. I mean it took a while for him to even listen to me through mindlink but I asked for him to just give me another chance. For me to prove that this can be fixed and that he can't walk away from this."

I swipe a hand across my jaw. "And what did he say?"

He smiles back at me gently. "He said he will give me a chance to explain. I invited him over here, so he can see my life, see that I'm not some hot mess and I do actually belong to the pack and I'm a beta."

"A beta that barely does any work," I mumble under my breath.

"Hey!" He shouts and I lean my elbows on my desk. "I don't need any of your negative attitude right now."

I guess I'll let it slide for today. "So he's definitely coming over?"

"I don't know. He said he'll see. I guess I'll have to wait."

"Well I'm rooting for you."

"Me too." His shoulders relax a fraction. "Anyway, I'm going to go chill with Reign. She calms my nerves and I need to be around someone who isn't busy right now."

My heart warms at his words. I adore the fact that Reign can keep him calm, distracted. Someone that he wants to be around because he feels comfortable, that makes me so damn happy.

"Well you two have fun," I pick up my pen. "I've got loads of work to do and no time to talk. I hope he turns up."

Milo nods. "Me too. I would help but I think I might throw up so I'd rather go take my mind off things."

My hand waves at him. "Milo, it's fine I get it. Go wait for your prince charming, I'm not mad about it."

He stands from the chair and claps his hands in front of him. "Thank you."

"Tell Reign to come see me later," I say before he reaches the door.

"So she can bother you but I can't?"

I scoff at his words. "I'm stuck here doing work for this pack, I think seeing my mate for a couple of minutes is completely acceptable. Don't you?"

Milo huffs out a breath and presses his hand to the door handle. "Guess so. Anyway I'm going to hang out with your mate now. Enjoy."