08 admitting the truth

♦ ♦ ♦

♦ ♦ ♦

When I wake up the next morning I can't find Lily anywhere, her bedroom door is open and her bed is unmade. She's completely covered the spare room in her scent and just being near it has my eyeballs turning into dinner plates without even needing to look at them.

I search through the living room and the kitchen, all the places that I think she could be but she's not. My hand runs through my hair and I give it a quick scratch, maybe she went for a run without telling me.

But then I remember her ankle. It might still be sore from yesterday, if she done any damage to it.

Then I start searching the rooms that I know I haven't introduced her to but she could have gone for a stroll, found herself intrigued with the house and started investigating through the rooms.

I don't blame her if she has, she's kept mostly to herself so she must be out of her goddamn mind. Especially as she barely speaks to me, she must be going through blazing hell in her mind with not much to do.

My fingers push against the last door in the hall, it doesn't even creak and as soon as I peek my head around the corner, I instantly see the back of Lily's head. She's looking at something, touching something.

She twirls a small golden globe ornament in her hands, gingerly holding onto it. She places it back onto the shelf but then takes it back again. I lean on the door hinge and cross a foot over the other, folding my arms across my chest.

"I hope you're not doing what I think you're doing with that stuff."

Lily's shoulders shoot up and she almost drops the globe but she catches it last minute and slams it down onto the shelf. As she faces the wall she takes a breath and after a couple of moments she turns to look at me over her shoulder.

"No," she straightens out her hoodie. "I was just looking."

"You sure?" I quirk an eyebrow.

"Yes."

"Okay." I bow my head and glance up at her again, her eyes slowly trail from my face down to my stance and then back up again. "Well if you want to talk about it. We can talk about it."

Lily purses her lips and then relaxes them. "I don't want to talk about it."

"That's fine," I shake my head and offer her a warming smile.

She stares back and her eyes narrow at my answer, I know she's expecting me to accuse her or start yelling but I do neither. Then her arms cross her chest and she stabalises her feet, shuffling them once.

"Alright," she grumbles and slaps her hands to her sides with defeat. "You caught me."

I push off the door hinge and straighten my spine. "Have you actually taken anything?"