44 unwanted company

♦ ♦ ♦

Reign and I officially mated a week ago. Since we haven't done much except make love at any moment we can, go for runs just us two, allowing our wolves to be together with our new marks. Everything is different.

I can't leave her side for a second. It's like a new level of protectiveness I never knew I could hold. She's mine. Everyone in the pack knows it but with the mark still fresh, the bond growing faster than usual, I can't even think about anyone else touching her right now.

My scent covers from head to toe and if even Milo or Fran get too close to her, it sets something off inside me. Protective. Too protective but because I'm the Alpha and she's my Luna, it heightens things to a million.

Most mates are protective of their significant other but the Alpha genes inside me are built differently. I don't like being like this but I can't stop myself. Reign has been understanding, helping me with my unnecessary outbursts.

Soon my scent on her will end up being mixed with everyone else when we start training as a pack, doing things together but right now I need her all to myself or I'll explode.

"How are you feeling today?" Reign asks as she slides a hand over my arm and rests it on my shoulder. The second she touches me my skin is on fire, making me shiver down to my feet.

I stare back at her in the mirror, she's fresh out of the shower and she's shining. Like the sun, beaming back at me with happiness. I nod slowly. "Better than at the start of the week," I offer her a smile.

"You're not going to try and rip Jesse's head off for attempting to make me a tea, are you?"

A low laugh escapes my lips. "I'll try my hardest. But no, I think we're over that level of stupidity."

"Everyone understands," she murmurs before pressing a kiss to the back of my shoulder.

My eyes flutter shut at the contact. Her lips feel like a kiss from the heavens, silk and pearls. "I know," I nod. "I think I can let you go today. I know you've wanted contact with everyone else."

Reign doesn't say anything for a few moments and when I stare at her in the mirror, she's looking back at me with such tenderness that I know she understands this pain. "I know it comes from a good place and I know it's not going to last forever."

"No but things might not be the same," I admit.

She shrugs simply. "Well it's something we'll have to work with. As long as I can hug other people without you needing to tear them apart."

"You can hug who you want," I say slowly. "I'm not going to be a toxic asshole and tell you what you can and can't do, Reign. You are your own person and you are not physically tied to me."

"No," she kisses me again. "But we are bound by the heart."

I twist to face her, taking her cheeks in my hands. "Yes," I nod. "But that doesn't mean that you can't do what you want to. We are equals. I am not above you, I never will be. I might be your mate for life, but I want you to be happy."