45 let me hunt

♦ ♦ ♦

I haven't said two words to anyone as the pack help drag Hector into a warehouse deep into our territory. I don't want to see him right now, not until he's bleeding out on the floor taking his last breath.

Everett has stuck to my side as I sort through my arrows, making sure they're sharp and my bow tightened to perfection. He made everyone move away from the back garden as I inspect each and every arrow.

"Angel," Everett says from behind me. "You don't have to do this."

"Stop trying to protect me," I grumble as I sharpen the tips of the arrows. "I want to do this. After everything, he thinks he can show up and magic everything back to the way it was? He's fucking dangerous and I don't want another day where he is alive. I don't want him to hurt someone else, like how he hurt me. I can live with knowing that he could ruin someone else's life. He has to go and I have to do it."

When Everett doesn't say anything, I peek my heavy eyes up to him. His expression drops as I analyse his face. It's obvious he's concerned but this is my business. I have every right to want to do this.

I get to have the last laugh.

"I'm worried about you. About this." His breathing becomes jagged.

"Don't you trust me?" I narrow my eyes at him.

Everett opens his mouth before a short pause. "Yes bu–"

"Then let me do this." I snap my eyes back to the knife and my arrows, sharpening the last one before I am ready. Before he's about to wish he never abused me. "Let me have this one thing."

When I place all of my arrows back into the holder and sling the bow over my shoulder, I can hear as Everett sighs from beside me. I turn to look at him as he steps closer, pressing his lips to my forehead in a gentle caress.

"I'll be right there beside you," he murmurs into my skin.

I close my eyes for a brief second, finally accepting the responsibility for this.

Everett might not understand but I have to. I have to do this. It's my duty and I want to show Hector that I am not weak, I am a strong woman. I am a Luna and I could be protecting lots of other young girls by taking his life away.

I don't want anyone to go through what I did. Not if I can do something about it.

"Do you still want Rebecca to take away his wounds?"

"Yes," I nod confidently.

That was the first thing I asked for. I don't want to make this easy for him. I want him to feel like he could get away if he really tried but I know my talents, my skills as a wolf that make me better with my hands than I am my paws.

He won't stand a chance but it brings me joy thinking he might believe differently.

I stare back at my mate and I suck in a breath, straightening my spine. "I'm ready."