32 i'm not what you want

♦ ♦ ♦

When I wake up the next morning, the bed is cold and I'm suddenly feeling extremely lonely. I never usually wake up without Everett, he holds me and kisses me until I am smiling because I have woken up to my amazing mate.

Yet today... he is nowhere to be seen.

I frown and try to wrack my brain to remember if he told me that he was doing anything today but nothing springs to mind. Especially after last night, trying something new. I thought he'd be here with me, cuddling me, making sure that I am okay.

My stomach flips with unwanted nausea. I despise this feeling but I tell myself that it's okay. Maybe something important came up and he didn't want to wake me. I don't even know what the time is.

Anxiety slowly creeps up through my body and sits on my chest. I take a deep breath because I know that Everett will most probably be downstairs in his office, sorting out something for the pack.

I need to understand that he is the Alpha. He has other priorities that aren't me. He has a bunch of people he needs to keep safe, I'm not the centre of his attention all the time and I get that.

When I swipe the sheets from my body and get dressed into comfy clothes before making my way downstairs. There are people in the kitchen and I smile at them on the way past, but I head straight towards Everett's office. If he's not here then I'll presume he had to step out of the house for whatever reason.

Just as I walk towards the door, my fingers hover above the handle, I pause. Laughter rockets from the office into the hall and for a second I'm startled. I don't recognise the sound at first but then it's followed by words.

"My goodness, Everett." That's Cleo, I remember her now. "That is some serious effort. I can't believe you said that to him."

Said what to who?

My shoulders dip but I don't move away from the door. I can't. I want to hear everything considering he ditched me in bed this morning for Cleo, the amazing Luna of her pack. Everett tells me she's pretty much on par with Kassian to be Alpha, they run the pack as leaders together. Equals.

I couldn't even imagine myself helping run Everett's pack. I'm not a leader. No one would listen to me.

"Come on," Everett speaks. "You've worked with him before. You know he's trouble."

"I think you're trouble," she responds and then chuckles again. The next thing she says is inaudible. I can't hear through the door and it frustrates me.

But what concerns me the most is the way that Everett exhales a long, hysterical laugh. Something I've never heard him do. Like he's about to die from lack of oxygen because he can't catch his breath.

Whatever she said, it really made him laugh.

I find my brows furrowing in irritation. He's never laughed like that for me. An uncomfortable feeling washes over me and I feel completely out of my depth, I pull my hand away from the door handle and wrap my arms around myself instead.