47 the perfect dress

♦ ♦ ♦

I spent the whole day in our bedroom. Everett left occasionally to bring me food–mostly comfort snacks and peppermint tea even though I said that I didn't need it. He ignored me and got it anyway.

When the morning rolls around, I know it's time to face everything. I can't find comfort in this bed forever, especially when I'm now the Luna. I have to show a good example to the rest of the pack, I have to put on my brave face and push back everything that happened yesterday.

Hector might be dead but the memories still remain. At least I have Everett by my side to get me through the trauma that I ignored for years because I thought I was worthless. But with the help of my amazing mate, Jenna, my therapist and this amazing family, I know I can get through anything.

Everett showers and I decide to venture downstairs by myself. When I reach the bottom of the stairs I spot Milo as he tucks his head around the kitchen entrance. His eyes spot me and he walks towards me slowly.

I say nothing. He says nothing. Then he wraps me up in a tight embrace and I rest my head into his chest. "How are you?" He whispers into my damp hair from the bath I took this morning.

My eyes flutter shut and I gently take a breath. "Okay," I murmur. "I just needed a day to get my thoughts together."

"That's totally understandable."

We stay like this for a few moments, he begins to sway us slightly to bring me a warm comfort. One that I appreciate. "You know that you're my role model, right?"

I scoff pathetically into his chest. "Not sure if I should be anyone's role model."

He pulls back and grips my shoulders through the fabric of my knitted cardigan. His blue eyes flick between mine and he nods. "You should be everyone's role model."

Heat spreads through my chest and invades my face, blinking down the compliment that I never would have dreamed of hearing because I never would have believed that it could be true.

"I wish you could see your own strength. Your mental strength, your physical strength. All of it. It's inspiring and I am so glad that you're in my life, Reign."

My chest quivers and I told myself that I wouldn't cry today, not at anything.

"Don't," I shake my head, voice cracking at the last letter.

Milo's lip twitches downwards at the tears that now have begun to coat my lash line. "I am," he pulls me back in. "So glad you're in my life because we all needed you. Not just Everett, we all did."

I sob into his shoulder quietly as he strokes my back, soothing me softly. "I just woke up, Milo."

He chuckles and it vibrates through my body. At home. I am truly at home.