Issue 1 - New Kid on the Block

With great power comes opportunity. Here at the Hero Chaser Association, we believe anyone can be someone; we provide the foundation and resources to be the next Superman. So what are you waiting for? Our biggest influencers take home six figures a year and are the foundation of the future. So etch your place in history at Super City, and remember, when you win, we all win.

"The train is now approaching New Bark Station; the train is now approaching New Bark Station. Please mind the gap. The next stop i-."

Dozens of commuters stood by the line waiting to be whisked away to their mundane jobs. But, unfortunately, the so-called train to take them there wasn't arriving. So even though there was an announcement, nothing came. Several office workers leaned forward, hoping to get a better view.

Each one gasped, running back as the train blew through the tunnel, exploding and ramming onto the platform, destroying the area around. 

Jumping off the top of the back carriage, I held my suitcase, dropping it to the floor. I attached the brochure to my new life as people began running and screaming amidst the chaos. Opening it up, I approached the security guard sitting in his booth, still dazed at what had happened. Smacking my map against the glass, I began shouting. "Do you know how I get to the new apartment complex down main street!?"

The guard kept staring blankly, muttering. "What?"

"Main street! Do you know where Main Street is!" I continued shouting, covering my ears to the alarms. "Yes, no? Please respond!"

"You're crazy!" He shouts, hiding under his desk.

Taken back, I looked at the map, feeling slightly insecure. "That wasn't very nice, dude..." I saw a group of hooligans walking around, snatching any belongings dropped. 

Turning around, ignoring them, I began to retrace my steps. "I could have sworn I was meant to take the power line three stops back..."

While I was distracted, one of the thugs spotted me smirking. "Check this out, boys; we have another wannabe Hero Chaser; how about we show our new paycheck a warm welcome!"

Running at me, I didn't pay him any time of the day as he swung his bat at me. The bat connected by was cut clean in half. He looked shocked, stumbling back. "No way."

Turning around, I raised an eyebrow. "Huh? Did you say something? Say, I bet you fellas know where Main Street is."

"What the hell, man? I so totally hit you!"

"I mean, you did, but you didn't." I brush off, waving my hand around. "It's complicated to explain, and I doubt you'd understand."

Another thug tested his luck, screaming and throwing a punch. Inches from connecting his cut were cut to pieces, as he called, falling back. The trail of blood echoed around me like a tornado. "That's why a demonstration works so much better."

The thug held his bloody hand, sobbing. "I'm going to die!"

"Aww, come on, don't be so melodramatic; I just scratched you. I had my windshield on like the bare minimum." I scoff as the main thug approaches, pushing his bat towards me. It makes contact with my shield, blowing away his weapon. "Get the bigger picture now?"

"I thought only those Hero Chasers got those cheesy comic book powers; what the hell gives?"

"What can I say? Now, will you tell me where Main Street is or must I show you my other toys?"

****

Wiping the blood off my shoes, I rammed my suitcase up the stairs. "Show you my other toys? What sort of threat was that? It sounded like the start of a really crappy porno. But at least I know where I'm going."