Issue 9 - All That for Five Bucks?

"Terry, Terry. Are you still here? I was going home." Billy shouted, leaving the office, bag on his arm.

His other work colleague, an older gentleman, stood up from his cubicle. He adjusted his glasses, smiling anxiously. "Oh, Billy. That's alright; I'll see you tomorrow."

"I thought your shift ended an hour ago."

"It did, but you know the higher-ups. They love working with me, silly. So once I'm done with one project, I'm onto another one. Margaret says I should speak up more, but I don't mind."

Billy came back around, looking at his work. "What have they got you working on now?"

"Oh, you know, the typical stuff."

Billy took one of the files, and a picture of Zara Culling was tied to it. "Who says Chilvery is dead? Influencer 700 is a by-the-books hero if I've ever seen one. She won't think twice about saving anyone, even if they have just tried to kill her. So speaking, her hit list is precisely zero; such a feat has gained a small yet dedicated fanbase that helped her rise to the ranks. You come into contact with her early in your adventure, already wanting to do an Avengers-type crossover. Someone enthusiastic is just asking for trouble. What is this?"

"Do you like it? I tried adding a little spice to our backgrounds on the influencers. It helps pass the time." He admits, smiling, his lip trembling now and then. "The big boss asked me to write these up, so I did. If Influencer 001 asks you to do something, you do it."

"Influencer 001? You are pulled into her mad plans when you team up to take on the current high-spot chaser, Diego. Such a patchy alliance built on blood and violence surely cannot last; I doubt it will. But, say, if this is meant to be a biographical profile, why are they addressing someone?"

Terry sat down, pouring himself another coffee, startled. "Huh? Oh, why is it for Y/N? Obviously, duh. When he arrived in Super City, Miss Ada instructed me to create these Bios. I think I have yours around here... Aha! There you are."

Billy looked at a less flattening picture of him frowning, unimpressed. But trust me, this job doesn't pay the big bucks. So that's where you come in as one of his two roommates; you two get along when needed, but to be honest, neither of you really likes the other. Wonder why?" Billy looked to Terry, slightly annoyed, before looking at the allegiance section. "Frenemy? What the hell does that mean?"

"I don't know; I wanted to mix it up. You're not friends, but you're not enemies either!"

Looking through them more, he clicked his tongue, concerned. "Can I take these home with me?"

"Sorry, no can do. I'm still not finished, and these are meant for Y/N."

"Right," Billy said, walking away. "Say, one last little thing, Terry. How did you get all this information?"

"Miss Ada told me. She knows everything about anyone. All expect for Y/N, all expect for Y/N. I should get this finished, so if you don't mind. I'm very busy, super busy. If I keep working, I might be able to finish in time to see my daughter's production. It's the Wizard of Oz; my baby girl is a tree. I can't wait."

"Goodnight, Terry."

"Night, Billy, you have that party to go to. I heard all about it. See you tomorrow."

Billy walked out confused, muttering to himself. "What party?"

****

Miley wasn't joking when it came to throwing a party. She really went overboard... The apartment was bombarded with people I didn't know, drinking and dancing. I stood in the corner, slightly uncomfortable, unsure what to do. That was until Zara came swooping by, laughing somewhat tipsy. "Whoa, this is sure a party! Thanks for inviting me, partner!"